Friday Update: Seven Ten Twenty-two…

It feels autumnal, if you look about in the valley the first leaves are turning golden yellow and burning red, it will soon be a sight to behold, albeit briefly before the long cold hard inevitable winter sets in. I've tried making the most of it this week with a few early morning walks before settling down to work in the workshop...


A fair few years ago, after visiting John Wooden's layout for the first time, I remember being taken by his Minitrains Boehler that he'd modified and the cogs turned and whirred and out popped the Barclayfication kit. It's not always available these days as the supply of these characterful models is a little more haphazard, but I was asked to put one together for a customer and it was lovely to revisit the kit. Yes, the boiler is too large, and too high for the Penrhyn pair really, but it still feels right. Paint next and then some trusty Fox N scale BR Mixed Traffic decals to finish.


The large scale (roughly 1/12 but really more of a caricature) Cli-shay is progressing. I've remade the chassis, had the pockets re-printed and remade the verticals, as well as painting it all - this is all glued together so far, so things are progressing slowly with it. I am currently stumped on the way forward in terms of the roof, as well as some of the working parts inside, although I hope a weekend or so of mulling things over will result in some progress early next week.


A different sort of commission on the bench is this structure, based upon Blodwell bridge on the Tanat Valley. This is too scale, but I've narrowed the roadway slightly and taken a little artistic license in some elements. It's intended to be buried in embankments on my customers eventual railway, so I've modelled the full depth of these which makes for a stronger, more stable core anyway. Extensive use of Wills sheets can be observed, along with Plastruct and Evergreen section and some left over parts from a bridge abutment kit. Once this basic blocking in of colours is dry I will add some mortar to the brick courses and further weathering on the stone and on the bridge sides. I've custom drawn some etched 'builders plates' to go on the girders under the roadway, these I hope will be the 'finishing touch' to this model.


As Warley (and Victory) approaches we're getting ready for the show and to make sure you know who you're talking to at the stand we've got some Pi sweatshirts printed, keep an eye on our social media and the newsletter for more information in the coming weeks on both the exhibition and the models!


I've been enjoying the odd operating session on Pont-y-dulais this week. It had become a bit of a home for OO locomotives, so once I'd tidied these away and cleaned the track I left my Hornby B2 out and have been taken back to childhood days on Bristol Harbour. The built in lighting and cameo presentation are still as effective as when I first built it, and it sits well in the study. I've taken to turning all the lights off for a truly immersive experience...


I will end this week with a photo from last weekend. I had planned to visit Wigan exhibition but the combination of train strikes and child taxi service commitments meant somewhere closer to home was required. This is North Wales, on a rainy cloudy day... yes, a wonderful micro climate exists if you know where to look for it. Those that are familiar will I'm sure recognise this beach, those that aren't, well move here and you'll find it! 


This weekend I've promised myself work on a layout - so either Beaverbrook, which could do with some more cork going down for the buildings and structures along the centre back of the layout (and allow me to progress the scenic work infront of it) or on Paxton Road where there are some small touches I'd like to add... that said I've got Creech Barn out at present and have been working on and off on the engine shed / workshop building so that may see some progress too, we shall see! I hope you have a good weekend whatever your plans. 

I'm available for commissions in any scale, gauge and prototype so if you've got a memory you'd like to make a reality get in touch for a personal fixed price proposal. Alternatively if you enjoy reading my blog please consider making a donation, large or small, to help me justify the lack of adverts or restrictions. In the meantime though, more soon...

Comments