On video: The driven experience...

When we create small model railways we want to maximise the immersive effect of being up close and personal to our models...

DCC offers the chance to experience both movement and sound that can help bring our models to life - but we can't artificially create mass and momentum - instead, through careful driving we recreate the impression of a heavy train through the way we play with our models. I share a pair of pretty average videos that help to explain this point:


I mention in the video that I'll share some links of the inspiration behind what you see here

https://youtu.be/1FaSi3tr2iQ

https://youtu.be/8Hu8pUjkjXM

https://youtu.be/--DvWaasz8g

I also mention my good friend Chris, who blogs regularly, and whose conversations have spawned so much of the content you find here - thank you Chris!

Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    I liked the thoughts and the video you shared on switching. I have visited a few “shortline” type railroads and looked at videos etc and am always conscious of the differences between north America and Europe, especially the UK, when it come to the way they operate and as you point out the track conditions.
    I agree also about trying to reproduce that in our models and that sound is almost essential to get the feel. I have a number of lokeys fitted with ESU’s Loksound V5 that has their Drive-Hold feature. This enables the “engineer” to set the speed and then throttle up or down. It seems easier to use that the separate throttle up and down functions on other decoders. Either way however it adds to the realism/fun

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I’d forgotten about drive hold. The problem with this is, you can’t alter the speed without removing the hold. The Soundtraxx options give me better playability, but that’s just my opinion. The range of sounds available on an ESU is what often makes it the natural choice.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.