Friday Update: Fourteen Ten Twenty-two…

Bookended this week by a BR Blue Class 104 DMU, today's Friday update shares a few commission updates amongst other things but hides the biggest news this week - that Victory is almost here, I'll share more over the weekend...


It was the Llangollen Railway's rail car gala which saw frequent service along the valley from three different classes - the 104 and 108 pictured here, and the 109 (Wickham). The 104 is looking great, freshly  renovated paintwork and renewed markings (although the Newton Heath number in my opinion should have been Chester ;)) - the 108's paint isn't bad but the roof is looking pretty tired - I wonder what will happen to the 108s on the railway, there are two working sets both in BR green, both with head code boxes plated over, and this one with headlights too... it strikes me that money permitting I'd love to help get one turned out in BR blue and grey (perhaps this one) and then restore the other's head code box! Alas, time is not money, and whilst I have plenty of the former, not a lot of the latter, nor do I own them - and if I'm honest, I realise that these venerable machines are cared for by a dedicated team of volunteers who do a great job and I'm not criticising their work in any way. I'm thankful we still have trains in the valley.


This model of Blodwell bridge is now pretty much finished, awaiting a final touch of weathering and some etched builders plates, it's surprisingly big, I must dig out a Pannier and a few wagons to pose with it before it head to it's new home later in the month. We're lucky that someone measured the structures on the railway before many were lost, the Wild Swan book on the Tanat Valley is a valuable resource.


The paint is still wet on this 'Cli-shay' 1/12 model, I've changed from a mid brown to a dark brown and have to say, it was the right decision, looking a lot more purposeful and it has real presence now! The next stage is to start adding the detailing - but before I get too far I want to wire it up - so the batteries and radio are due next week - along with a cheapish sound card that I hope to configure to give an insanely high chuff rate (to represent the sound of the Shay's vertical cylinders that go like the clappers). Then I'll be adding a roof and some finishing touches, and finding space for another huge commission model - more on that another week!


Finishing off commission work this week, the O gauge Class 47 shared a few weeks ago has hung around waiting for the custom name plates - these are a custom name, using the British Rail Western Region style font, which gives a much better representation of the prototype than using one of the standard designs on Custom Nameplate Studio (these can be drawn up from as little as £25 if you have a specific requirement, etched at cost). They've really finished off this model, and it will be heading off to it's new home shortly.


On my own modelling, after working on the ground work this week (see Wednesday) I've painted the track in this area - and run a few trains! The older Athearn Genesis GP38-2W looks superb here, but I'm less happy with it's performance. It's funny, the similar vintage GP40-2LW works much better so I really must take a look at their settings.


A montage of layout design - I've been working on a new design commission for a customer this week, based on a prototype new to me, that I was previously unfamiliar with - always a pleasure to dive into a new subject and absorb the character. Working through my design process with a customer is a great way to get to understand their needs and requirements - and is always well received. When this commission is complete I'll share more details here - in the meantime, if you have a layout or prototype you'd like help with, my design service starts at just £160. Get in touch using the contact form here on the website in the menu, or via Facebook or the forums.


I've always had a massive soft spot for the Minitrains Plymouth diesel - and when I saw Statfold's examples a few years ago I was really taken with them - to the extent that I felt I needed to represent them on my own Creech Barn layout. I picked up a body from someone on the NGRM forum and have stripped it down to start working on a basic representation. Noting the exhaust is in a cowling on the front of the cab I have filled in the front window ahead of fitting this and carved off the handrails. I've also modified the buffer beams and removed the footboards. I plan to add a full compliment of handrails in fine wire, the bell AND horn before painting in a similar scheme. A welcome distraction from larger commission at the moment!


Finally for now, I bumped into the Blue 104 again yesterday on my way home from the school run - and as it's my favourite legged it down the park at Glyndyfrdwy to grab this photo which neatly bookends the update. It's been a busy week behind the scenes on various projects but I'm not yet able to share more on why that is - it won't be long before I can though, so we'll all have to be patient a little longer. Victory news in your inbox later, and otherwise in the meantime, have a good weekend and as always, until next time, more soon...

Comments