Bringing Defiance to life (N part 32)...

I picked up this lovely Dapol model a few months ago now - whilst exploring a china clay and Cornish rabbit hole and rather glad I did, as it is something of pure joy...


The Dapol model I'm sure has it's shortcomings - however I am one who believes in character - this small model (that actually isn't that small - it's a beast compared to my other N gauge locomotives) exudes all the traits I expect from the prototype - low slung, long, distinctive body profile and tucked tumble home... in this disntinctive livery it is every bit the 'star' of my small collection. Under the shell a well engineered chassis crawls along quietly (although there is a little cogging at very low speed) and the constant brightness lighting is very effective. I must touch in the marker lights on the ex-headcode panels though, as although they're lit in motion, they don't have the white opaque look of the prototype. 


To bring this model to life, one that often appeared to be kept quite clean for the few years it carried this livery, a subtle weathering was required. After fitting the details provided in the 'poly bag' along with a DG to the buffer beam I've added a wash to the chassis. Once dry, I used Humbrol 245 on the side grills - it's difficult to tell in photos whether these are dirty, or painted - but nevertheless they certainly needed to be darker. I used the same colour and spotted it on at the ends of the rain strips - letting it dry for a short time and using a wide flat brush moistened with white spirit to drag down a streak.


I let this all harden before adding a wash on the roof of 33/98, wiped clean and touched up. The same mix was used in the tail light moulding and around the headlight. Finally an airbrushing of road dirt and exhaust was applied, and over-spilled the exhaust onto the sides. A wide flat brush, again moistened in thinners, removed most of the over spill leaving a wonderful gentle streaking in this area.


Posed on Paxton Road, yes it's too big... but also, yes it's lovely. I am lucky to have picked one up, as I'm sure they won't hang around long in the range. The prototype is one of most enthusiast's favourites. I'm leaning that subtlety is a real key with N gauge weathering, I hope that the practice this gives me spills over into my commission work - one of the benefits of enjoying my job as a hobby as well. 



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments