A home for some old friends…

I would say that my interest in Polish narrow gauge can be traced back to my rebirth to narrow gauge modelling, thanks to Tim, about 10 years ago. Of course the seeds were planted much earlier, with the general attraction to European narrow gauge models depicted in the LGB range, but we’ve talked about that previously…


In the years since energy levels for the subject may have waxed and waned but that hasn’t stopped a small collection of 009 and one or two special interest books. I’ve lost count of the times I have promised myself to build them a home, despite good intentions I’ve never even come close to putting pen to paper. Strangely it was whilst looking for something else in the 009 box that Lyd2  and the PX48 were unearthed, and the Russian narrow gauge coach transformation into a Polish approximation began. Surely now was the time to channel some inspiration, what would a Polish 009 shelf cameo look look like?

As usual I have taken some rather large liberties with a prototype, combining my favourite elements of the town station with some of the character of the halt next to the main line. The three schemes above actually show a refining and distillation of the original idea, tweaking each time to balance operational and constructional concerns with the prototype. Imbuing the resulting scene with the character of the Polish narrow gauge is achieved through careful placing of structures and trees to guide the viewer to find views echoed in Richard’s book… 


“This was a magical experience, a real steam train with passengers off to market for a days shopping or just to go to work”

Yes, if it wasn’t for Richard’s book, it’s likely that none of this would ever have happened, so just with nudges in the Irish direction we have him to thank for today’s post. Thanks Richard. I suppose the other elephant in the room is the fact that I model in 009, and not H0e! This goes back to my birth in 009 and a desire to have a consistent scale over my British and overseas narrow gauge models, accepting discrepancies required to share a 9mm track gauge. That said, this scheme would fit in the space of Pont-y-dulais and all that have followed. Oh, for a bigger wall, alas at present this day dream is queued for space in my cramped workshop. Perhaps though the idea of finding a home for a treasured collection and of distilling the prototype scene to fit your available space are two things that help you. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. What a fantastic little idea there James! I really like the the final shunt release idea, loads of potential for enjoyable mindful operating sessions. It's almost a light railway minories... you've got the grey cells humming again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, thanks - I think I’ll need some gentle encouragement or an exhibition booking for this one to see the light of day, I’d love to build it but I just don’t have the space, really. Thanks for the comment, always great to hear from you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.