Carbon capture…

It started last month, that gentle nudge, the rediscovery of the heart of my N gauge adventure. Scottish Speedlink. Some familiar books, old friends if you will, reminded me of Cameron Bridge. The rest of this post is the result…


These distinctive white tank wagons look like nothing else, they are so distinctively associated with Distillers, but how to model a pair in N? Helpfully all 3 sizes are available as 3D prints from a trader on Shapeways

A pair were duly ordered alongside some parts for future Light Railway Stores / Narrow Planet re-stocks. Those familiar with Shapeways will recognise the waxy residue on the prints needs removing, a soak in white spirit helped, and showed up some lovely detail on these otherwise simple one piece prints.


Wheels from Mosskito (6.2mm 3 hole disc) were added but the axle boxes needed judicious removal of material in the pin points to aid free wheeling. Once satisfied I primed them to check the finish, before moving carefully through the process of painting ensuring the barrels had a high gloss white finish before masking and moving on to the black. 

These days, I’ve recognised the benefit of relying on the airbrush for painting smaller models, the finesse in finish and preservation of fine detail being worth the slight increase in faff with masking and preparing and cleaning the airbrush.

Decals came from Rail-tec, not cheap but quicker than creating my own. Sealed with lacquer the weathering then followed prototype photos, but I used a warmer brown than usual as all photos seemed to show the same shade on the seams and ends. The usual tones were used on the chassis and to soften the edges later, weathering pale models is fraught with problems, I’m quite pleased now these turned out considering their small size.


The pair look at home on Paxton Road rubbing shoulders with both old and new N gauge models. I wonder if this is the consistency in my hand rather than finesse of the models themselves? At the start of my N gauge adventure this was something I remember worrying about, it is now, looking back, pleasing to realise I don’t need to fret (excuse the pun). Consistency perhaps not in detail, but finish is more important. A consistent approach and appraising eye too, knowing what to include and what to exclude in the finished model. 

Aside from this, I’ve really enjoyed putting them together, so to speak. N started as a place to collect and enjoy ‘out of the box’ models. I have really found the kits I’ve assembled recently a lovely tonic, and am pleased that they stand up to those I’ve bought. I’ve also enjoyed the nostalgia value within these tiny forms, the peculiar shapes and the way they look with my Class 26, awakening memories of photos in treasured books, a warmth from a less complicated time, transmitted by the hobby, as if a conduit or connection point.

There are more to come too, as I’ve got some Molasses’s tanks to finish off, but now the bench beckons and I must peel myself off this sun bathed sofa, the dog snoring, and get back to work. Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. All I can say is nostalgia is weird! Then I miss horribly blackened Northern stations at the end of steam. Something I''ve never really seen modelled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps those who model the end of steam channel an earlier memory, to blend their reality with a longing for something earlier? Perhaps it is your story, and you can tell it?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.