Scottish Speedlink: Cameron Bridge…

In the past month I've been turning attention back to the heart of the Paxton Road journey - a love of British Rail freight in 1990 and in particular the shorter Speedlink operations in central Scotland...

I had a book as a child, 'British Marshalling Yards' by Michael Rhodes, published by OPC, in fact I should say 'I have' as it still sits on my shelf - in the Scottish section you will find a few important photos that explain why, perhaps, I'm drawn back here... an 08 with Tullis Russell PAA sits at the end of the Markinch branch at Auchmuty and a 20 with Carbon Dioxide tanks at Cameron Bridge... these images, along with others from the area in the years since provide glimpses of traffic in short colourful wagons hauled by short colourful diesels that appealed, even then, to me...

Class 20 Nos. 20137 and 20198
Class 20 Nos. 20137 and 20198 arrive at Cameron Bridge in Fife with a pair of four-wheel carbon dioxide tanks for the distillery on 30th September 1990.  Peter Moss photo (https://flic.kr/p/2jn3E6u)

We've talked about Auchmuty before so to contrast that extensive room sized empire today I share musings for a shelf layout with operations potential alongside a neat cameo composition and caricature compression / simplification of the prototype, Cameron Bridge. The prototype 'industrial scale' distillery received various traffic - mainly malt in Polybulks in period, and exported CO2 in the distinctive white 'cans'. Initial thoughts put a sector or fiddle yard at each end, as you can with a shelf at home without too much trouble. 

Illustration James Hilton 2024

However, this makes possible exhibition use difficult, and I reflected on the success of Paxton Road and Kohlenbach Brücke Werks with their single ended operation. My good friend Tim is currently building a small N scale layout where one of his sectors is actually hidden on stage BEHIND some scenery. We used to this in 009 when we were both a little younger but I've not thought about it using it on a scheme since... those large buildings and tanks would make a great scenic break though I thought - so by putting a loco length one on the left of the scene you can 'run around' an arriving train and do a little shunting. Yes, it's a simplification - and more - I've moved the connection with the mainline from the left to the right - but this to me isn't important. The arrangement of scenic elements and the specific stock will set the scene and those familiar will recognise Cameron Bridge. For me it would provide a home for my new CO2 tank wagons, possibly too with a twist of history, my molasses tanks... indeed it would be a good replacement in some ways for Paxton Road. Equally, it's compact size would work in both OO and O, in O I'd argue you could get away with just a Class 26 with a couple of wagons as a train... the increase in mass would allow an increase in the caricature in that sense, without loosing atmosphere. Either way, an enjoyable few hours dreaming this all up which I hope gets the creative juices flowing. 

If you'd like help working up your own layout design then my layout design service starts from £180. Get in touch for a no-obligation discussion to see how I might be able to help guide you through the process and collaborate on a scheme that ticks all your boxes and makes a really deep emotional connection with you, telling your story. Until next time though, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Another interesting layout idea and perhaps an excuse for a "wee dram" while you are thinking/or working
    The Scottish whisky was a great user of railways and some distilleries had extensive rail systems with their own "puggy" locos and diesel shunters ( often Ruston 48Ds or 88DS). If you can get a copy of "Iron Rails and Whisky Trails" by Ian Peaty and published by Irwell this covers most of the distilleries with track plans and details of their operations . It includes the Distillers Cameron Bridge works and shows their works shunter. This is also lurking the background of top photo (behind the foot bridge).
    This will be a project worth following as always

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, a project I’m unlikely to build but the wagons are still being made and collected - a pleasant enough distraction for now… I enjoy dreaming these ideas up but the act of putting them down on paper, by and large, means I’ve got them out of my system, so to speak

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.