Commission: Dirty Southern tank engines…

I love my job. Although I’ve seen examples of these here previously it’s always nice to handle quality models and enjoy their miniature reproduction. Hats off to Hattons, the P class in particular is stunning…


It and the Kernow Beattie well tank are both in for ‘bringing to life’ with the specification ‘used but clean’. This sort of thing can be harder to achieve than decrepit and worn out, for it takes careful observation and a restrained hand.

A wash of usual 98/33 along underframe and footplate, plus any flat surfaces on the body kicks things off. Then some careful micro painting dirt build up and damage before dusting with the airbrush. The finish is then gently cleaned on the boiler top before re-blending in with an airbrush a second time. It is this layering and deliberate removal that really sings ‘lived and loved’ - check out the top of the boiler on the Beattie especially!

 


I have also painted and fitted Modelu crew as well as topping up the bunkers with real coal. Modelu are one of those companies we have all taken to heart. Alan and the team create wonderful product and are so kind and warm. In addition, there just isn’t anyone else who offers the quality, range and gently composed figures. Stunning work that really helps us modellers. Painted in acrylics and given a simple black wash that’s all that is required for a loco crew.



 

Whilst I’m very busy with larger commissions this year there is still capacity for weathering work so if you’d like me to breathe life into your personal models then do please get in touch. We will discuss the finish and look your hoping to achieve, reference materials as appropriate and I’ll give you a fixed price proposal. You can reach me using the form in the menu on the website, the forums or via Facebook - on my ‘James Hilton CMR’ page you can email me - you don’t need a Facebook account. For now though, I’d better get back to the bench. Until next time, more soon…




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments