Friday Update: Twelve Four Twenty-four…

What a wet one, and with the rain the gloom. Welcome to valley life in North Wales. In the workshop work on all sorts of commissions -  nothing complete, but lots of progress. Around that pleasing steps forward with my own work...


On Beaverbrook a milestone! My SWEEP has had couplings provisionally fitted, a few more details and glazing and has worked its first trains on the layout. This model is one that has been a fair few months in the making, taking my time and enjoying working on it when and only when I really wanted to - the result is a model of calm reflection, one imbued, at least to me, with the mindful pursuit of reimagining reality in miniature. Here, seen without weathering, you can see some of the 'hard' tangible visible effects of that work in its finish. The body is pre-faded, the patch not 100% coverage, the mis-matched numbers and 'hand painted' HMLX... I can wait to see this one complete - rather than a rush, it will be done when it feels right and the result all the better for it - if not in the finished model, than my own headspace.


Staverton station building and goods shed are looking more 'complete' this week. These two structures are scratchbuilt using a Scalescenes paper and card kit as a template. I have now finished the basic work on both including painting the brick and stone work, roof slates as well as gutters and roof boards. I have designed some custom etched windows for the station but in the meantime I intend to scratchbuild the required doors. These pair again prove that it is not material choice that results in a characterful model - it is mindset and approach, and I'm happy to share my customer is incredibly excited with progress (which is always a lovely fuel for a project!).


I've done a few of these Fourdees Edward Thomas now, the latest has seen its lining and detail painting applied this week and now awaiting etched plates from Light Railway Stores. I love working on these miniatures, Dan's design work is exceptional and whilst I miss the craft of a good kit (like I try to build into my own creations available through Light Railway Stores - and a few kit re-stocks on the way there) the gentle act of painting various parts in different shades, watching the model coming to life is a lovely experience. 

Hiding in the background is my own Fourdees model, the Kindle. You will note this now sports etched plates - so I suppose I should write more about this locomotive and the project it is intended for at some point!


With Leatown out the door a few weeks ago, and Easter done and dusted work starts on the next layout commission. I am nearly nose to tail on these this year, which is a lovely place to be, I enjoy bringing my designs to life. This is the very start of Rushcliffe Halt, and you can see I am checking the track plan - not only a chance to play with positions of turnouts but more importantly, determining the locations of 'cut outs' in the end so the basic cameo box can be cut and glued. You can see the other sections of wood under the base in this photo, they've all been marked up and as I type this, are glued and taped together - so big visible progress on this project in next week's update I'm sure!


Last week I had a mammoth 7 hour drive back from Pembrokeshire via East Cheshire and managed a lunch stop in Welshpool. It was lovely to stop somewhere 'off the road' so to speak, and spend some quieter moments wandering around the station and exhibition sheds. Delighted to see Number 85 has returned, and was quite taken with this photo of Joan and 85 parked up quietly awaiting more running in the future. It doesn't seem yesterday really that Joan was back in steam - but it seems it could well have been 2012! I presume now then 'out of ticket' and not required whilst they have Zillertal on loan and Sir Drefaldwyn back in service. I wonder what next for this survivor? Hopefully steam once more - but until then, slumber.


This week has seen a re-focus on the Speedlink N story here at home - and especially 'Scottish' flavoured traffic. As well as some N gauge Society tank wagons (which will become Molasses tank wagons, as used on the Menstrie branch) I sourced a couple of carbon dioxide 'Distillers' tank wagons (as used on the Cameron Bridge branch). These are from Shapeways and printed in their new high resolution clear material which seems ok, but no better than the old 'Frosted Ultra Detail' really - certainly I'm not sure it's worth the price over the tan material. I am looking forward to bringing these all to life - but alongside you can see more Scottish flavoured projects providing some framing to the scene! The Tullis Russell PAA was a fun project I've written about previously. On the right is one of a quartet of re-worked Peco grain hoppers with parts designed by Will at Coventry Railworks - I have road-tested these kits, and I hope he is able to release them soon as they're lovely things! 

I am expecting an exciting delivery today - another Irish model, the re-released Murphy 141. I've also got a set of IRM Bulleid opens that are due very soon - that must mean I've got enough 'toys' to share thoughts on that next exciting project? In the meantime, I'm planning a little scenic work on Kohlenbach Brücke Werks this weekend which will be good fun. It is also the Llangollen Railway 'Branchline Gala' which looks set to be a wonderful weekend of trains, my intent is to go and absorb and capture that as well - so if you're visiting do let me know and lets see if we can let our paths cross! Until next time though, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments