A dirty Sweep...

I do love the odd balls, the underdog, the unlikely hero - perhaps it is an echo of how I feel about myself, perhaps the stories told to me through childhood? Even now, characters on TV and film who capture my attention have that same peculiar character. Strike, Perez, Mac... 

(Top marks for anyone who gets all three).


I digress, this Canadian National SW1200RM, or Sweep, is certainly a rarity, if not a hero. Just 8 were built before CN decided that the extra 100hp of the conversion did not warrant the cost, and reverted to a more traditional 'refresh' of its SW1200RS fleet in the mid 1980s. The upgraded 567 prime mover with 645 power assemblies were combined with the long hood of retired GP9s for their cooling equipment. A new cab was fabricated featuring good visibility for yard work. Whilst others may see 'ugly' I see burly husky power. Small but mighty.


I can't remember the first time I saw a photo of one - perhaps a model even, in a magazine. It looked as if someone had squashed a GP9, somehow condensed it in all the right ways. It also had echoes of the EMD export units and the narrow gauge units on Newfoundland - which were attractive to me for their same character. It was fairly early days on the 'Canadian Adventure' before Beaverbrook became the location (so probably whilst still thinking Lakeside in Halifax) that I had a feeling that one would suit my new shelf layout rather nicely. Alas, I had plenty of other projects and I didn't feel the need for a kit bash / scratchbuild. 

That all changed when Kaslo Shops released their kit last year - now, I could finally see if such a unit really was the 'perfect' size for Beaverbrook.


The Kaslo kit is a 3D printed resin body with detail parts and an etch of other details. It requires a fair amount of modelling skill to get a decent representation but nothing 'hard' - so just patience and the ability to accept a few goes at things like the handrails might be necessary. I really enjoyed it, a beautifully simple kit that suited my limited headspace in the evenings. It has taken rather longer than I had envisaged but she is finished, she looks and sounds great shuffling around in Moncton.

Is she the unlikely hero? The underdog? Yes. 

Building the model has re-awakened my love of this scale and I've enjoyed renewed conversation with Chris about HMLX, about his projects, about day dreams of Rome. I have enjoyed thinking once more about structure modelling, about what other cars or locomotives could find a home here over time - and I have enjoyed the notion of an evolving fleet. As she was finished I sold a few items to make space - and I see a few more departing in future to allow more lease units to be rebuilt, tested, and moved on. That is what I have come to enjoy about this HO scale adventure. The notion that this is a real place, a real rail road. It has had CN and TerraTransport era - currently it is operated by HMLX. My favourite models from each of those collections live on here - whilst others now see active duty on other layouts. Just like real life... 

Model railways are an escape as well as a creative pastime. A safe world where I can control the story, the narrative, where I can be or imagine my train is that hero - and whilst I may not be understood in the real world, scaled down 87 times I am at peace. Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    I agree the "Sweep" has a certain industrial charm and it is a pity CN only funded eight. To my mind it is a little like the UP SW10 program or indeed Cat's reworking of the Canfor SW1200's on Vancouver Island. One thing about a lease unit as you note and was the subject of the earlier blog is you can justify a "Sweep" in places they have not worked so far

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Alan, HMLX opens up a whole world of possibilities... I currently have my eyes on the Kaslo GP11 shell... I am wondering it will fit on my GP35 chassis

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.