Dreams come true (part 2)...

3 years ago I first wrote a post titled 'Dreams Come True'. Since then, I could probably have done a second when the first book was published. Today's version then, whilst only part 2 feels the third in a trilogy...


This story starts a few months ago when Terry Pickthall, volunteer at the Llangollen Railway took on production of the in house magazine - re-branding it Dee Valley Mail. I can't remember if he asked for help, or if I just offered - but it would have been after I exhibited Paxton Road at Corwen at the diesel gala. Anyhow, the offer was simple, I'd teach him the basics of page layout design and get him started on a more professional approach to the magazine. We spent probably in total a day or so going back and forth on the first issue and it was recently produced and distributed to members. As a surprise 'thank you' Terry offered me a cab ride in one of the diesels (knowing my preference for them) and I jumped at the chance of joining him on the type 4.


Class 47 - the 'boring' mundane trains of my childhood. We saw them in Chester and Crewe - we saw them everywhere we went. At home, my first 'sectorisation' (and properly new, rather than passed on from Grandpa's collection) locomotive was a Lima 47 and I had a second later (Sir Daniel Gooch) and my good friend Tim stretched to 5 if I remember (all the GW ones plus a Scotrail?). Those childhood days of running expresses of Mk1 coaches around Tim's garage, the Lima pancake motor growling making up for the lack of sound in those days. 

Wonderful memories of a childhood well spent.


I couldn't sleep on Friday night - and it wasn't the beer. No I was excited, full of nervous energy at the prospect of that cab ride. Walking down to the station at half nine to catch the ECS move to Corwen was the plan and on time Terry arrived with the Type 4 and just 3 suburban coaches. Seeing 47449 pull into Glyndyfrdwy was different this time, I wasn't just 'on the station' in my safe place - there was a slight feeling of anxiety, of anticipation. Today I would be sitting up front, somewhere I had dreamt of sitting in childhood, a place Tim and I had dreamed of experiencing when our Lima models circled his garage at a scale 95mph...


Terry welcomed me aboard and I was offered the secondman's seat for the journey. Settling down I wasn't sure what to expect, the view was lovely, and different of course but the thing that struck me was how slow it all felt. 25mph line speed is slow, and 3 coaches that weight less than the locomotive - the Sulzer was barely ticking over as we burbled alongside the Dee towards Carrog. 


At Corwen we switched to the No.2 cab to reverse into the headshunt before running around the train. The station is still controlled by ground frame and manual turnout control which means the second man is doing the job of signalman. We didn't have long once coupled back to our train before departure. As I sat in the cab looking out at the gathering of enthusiasts it was funny realising they didn't know my story. I was just 'train crew' - but really I was just a lucky enthusiast enjoying my first cab ride.

 

Heading back down the line with passengers on board we stopped at Carrog and Glyndyfrdwy where we waited to pass the first train from Llangollen - 3802 looking wonderful post overhaul. We rolled down the valley alongside the river, passing along the bank I can't quite see but can hear from my workshop... on through Berwyn Tunnel, and towards Llangollen.



We passed a surprise site, the new arrival, another blue 08 was out at Goods Junction - apparently helping a trainee signalman to pass out - but I'm sure the crew were enjoying themselves.


Arriving at Llangollen, the childhood start of many a steam adventure and a chance to take a coffee and eccles cake from the cafe. Reflecting on the prototype we talked about how different things would be at 95mph with 10+ on the back. The locomotive, despite being 'unpopularly' a diesel and blue at that was gathering an admiring crowd and we saw plenty of enthusiasts chasing the train. Mixed weather meant showers one minute and blue sky the next - such is life here in the Dee Valley.

 


The journey home was un-eventful. The climb up Berwyn bank and through the tunnel gave us a chance to open the Type 4 up a little, but even then, the sound and vibration in the cab was different to how I imagined. When you're sat a coach or two back with the windows open, the exhaust note sounds fantastic but sat in front all you've got really is a slight increase in noise and a sort of surge through your feet. It's exciting, and stimulating but for this rookie, not at all what I had imagined.



One thing I hadn't appreciated was how lovely the line is from the cab - and thoughts of some 'cab ride' videos at some point were discussed. I've a few ideas on how to put something together, it could be a fun little project if the opportunity arises. 




Arriving back into Glyndyfrdwy, seeing the spots I watch the train from from the cab was funny, I love watching and enjoying trains. Those dreams of childhood weren't based on any sort of reality. Whilst the idea of being a train driver appealed, it wasn't based on any real knowledge. Instead, my first love was the model train, watching the prototype sort of echoes that experience of lying on the carpet. 


And so today, my love is still the model railway - of distilling my experiences in reality down to caricatured miniature worlds to get lost within. I love railways, I love diesels, I love DMUs and I loved this experience - it was great fun and has added an appreciation of the world I love from a different angle. I will always treasure this 'first', a third 'dream come true'. Until next time, more soon...


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Hope you had an enjoyable time in Pembrokeshire.
    However your diesel cab trip may have been as enjoyable if not more so and it certainly looks lots of fun. Looking out at other enthusiast's and guessing their reactions is also fun. I thought that when I was invited to be on one of the "Steam on the Underground" trips ( in a carriage not on the footplate) and the looks a passengers and others as we drew into stations between service trains was something to behold

    I think your comments about the lack of sound etc in the cab might be a combination of the short train but more having the prime mover behind you. I know when I rode a Simpson log train in 1989 the cab of the SW1200 was behind the engine and talking inside was quite difficult and the sound when I stuck my head out the cab door was pretty loud. It was similar when I had a chance to drive a GE 80-ton centre cab on a quarry railroad in New England

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan! Sounds a very different experience!

      Delete
  2. Great photos and a lovely story there James. Glad you enjoyed your cab ride.

    I was fortunate enough to have a footplate ride on a Black 5 down the line from Carrog some years ago - to say I was excited doesn't cover it adequately!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.