In Print: My own book...

I've hinted several times over the past few months about a big project I've been working on but since Simon at The Titfield Thunderbolt book shop has let the cat out of the bag I feel now is the time to share more on the title...

Simon is of course also the owner of Wild Swan publishing, and if it wasn't for his help and encouragement I'm not sure this book would have seen the light of day, thank you Simon.

From the blurb:

This is a book about layouts small in size but not in ambition. The author explores the subject of model railway layout design from a fresh and personal perspective, punctuated with photographs of his own modelling and illustrated profusely with worked examples.

The facts:

  • Published by Wild Swan
  • £16.50
  • 80 pages, 150gsm paper, gloss laminated card covers.
  • Due out early August.

This has been a personal and exciting adventure. I am a little apprehensive to how it will be received as it's a little out of the usual Wild Swan style as I've not only written and produced all the artwork, illustrations and photographs BUT also I've done the design and layout. As a result it is a whole, very much an expression of myself and my thoughts on the subject. I hope you all enjoy it. I will have a limited number of copies available, but you can purchase it through all good book shops. Until next time though, more soon...

Comments

  1. Hi James

    Well done with this . The concept looks good and Wild Swan produce very nicely done books. I have a few.

    I know from personal experience, many years ago now, the emotional and physical input in even a small book. My son a has been involved in the production of a number of books using his photographs, and in the digital age and using colour the process seems even more fraught. However the satisfaction of seeing your work coming together will be great.

    I shall certainly be buying a copy when it comes out!!

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan! I hope you enjoy it. You may well find a scheme somewhat familiar inside it’s pages…

      Delete
  2. Interesting -I shall look forward to the book

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahah! Gonna have to order from the website, so I wonder what else to through in to the order to "save on" postage. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to do....

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim, yes I expect there will be plenty of other sellers too… but why not there is plenty to tempt at Titfield.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the book! May it be the first of many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rob. I’ve got plans for more, on similar but different topics but we shall see… I’m my own worse critic, a few friends have been very kind and positive, but the test will be what people say when they spend their hand earned on it!

      Delete
  5. On my list to buy James. Your artwork and webpage layout have always been inspirational so with your thoughts and guidance on small layout design the book will be a winner! Not many people can say they have had a book published so congratulations! As I said to someone I know who has several books published, her name will always be on bookshelves somewhere ensuring her legacy, unlike many of us, will pass down through a wide audience for many generations. That is something to pause and think about for a minute or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Woody. What makes me chuckle is if you search for my name on Google it appears there was already a relatively famous author called James Hilton!

      Delete
    2. Never knew that which I guess shows my knowledge of non model making literature! Having a namesake author could work to your advantage though James. If fans of his see a new book out in his name they may just buy it without looking what it is. You could be in the best seller list before you know it and introduce a whole new audience to the delights of small layouts!

      Delete
  6. Well done, I'll be keeping me eyes open for this.
    But, a Domestic Duck publication not produced in their house style - hackles will rise and strongly worded letters will no doubt be sent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul - indeed, not a typical Wild Swan, mind, it's so different I expect we'll get away with it.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful news. Well done James, I can't wait to see this, I've been hoping for a long time that you'd put your ideas into a book. Good luck, I hope it flies of the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only recently discovered your blog and enjoying what you're posting on it. I'll be getting a copy of your book as I'm looking for inspiration for my next small space Scaleseven layout.

    All the best
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike, that is very kind, I’m glad you’ve enjoyed finding the blog. The book will be out in a week or so I understand.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.