Changing times at Pont-y-dulais…

The mid 1970s were a time of change at many NCB railways across the country as steam locomotives worked their last shifts and diesels took their place...


It wasn't always the case, and steam lived on in a few locations. However, these images caught at Pont-y-dulais in the period tell the story of the Peckett 0-4-0st being replaced by a Ruston 165DE.


The diesel wasn't popular with the crews who considered it light footed, meaning the steam locomotives maintained in reserve found use on occasion of wet rails as well as poor availability of the Ruston. However this was the beginning of the end and by the end of the 1970s the Peckett's were gone, replaced by another Ruston, this time an ex BR 07 (as seen previously).

Of course all this is a flight of fancy inspired by getting out the Hornby Peckett powered Planet Industrial kits on Pont-y-dulais over the last few days. The combination of my own Canadian layout alongside commission work has meant that these haven't been run as often as I'd have liked in recent months and it was lovely to see these old friends again. I note the roof on the standard height Peckett needs gluing back down! The Ruston is currently in stock at Light Railway Stores, the standard height Peckett conversion is awaiting Steve resolving a sourcing issue and the cut down one has not yet been released! Oh well, hopefully these problems will finally be resolved in 2022. In the meantime, enjoy these photos. More soon...

Comments

  1. Hi James
    I really like the way you can use your cameo layouts to be a different time frame or even a location. The way you have used scenery ( including the track ) and structures says this is an industrial railway but without tying to a specific location.
    Seeing the cut -down Peckett reminded me that I visited the Ifton/Weston Rhyn colliery railway in 1968 and "Hornet" was working the landsale traffic, hauling coal in rakes of four wood bodied NCB wagons between the screens and the yard. I think the yard was situated on what might have been the mine brickworks and Hornet was sporting very different chimney. It was a spark arrestor- looking like of underfed version of balloon stack as used US logging lokeys- probably as there were plantations all around the mine. I will try and scan a few photos and send them.

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I understand of Hornet, the ‘special’ chimney was actually just a home brewed example and I’m not sure it was a true spark arrestor, it certainly made Hornet distinctive, but I couldn’t bring myself to model it on my own example, it was just too ugly!

      Delete
    2. My notes say it was a spark arrestor of sorts but it sure was ugly and looked pretty home made

      Alan

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.