Fairlie adventures…

I’ve been lucky enough to squeeze in not just one but two trips on the Ffestiniog Railway this week taking both my nephew and my son on the line within a matter of days...

Man made pumped storage reservoir at Tanygrisau

It doesn't matter how many times I manage a trip, every time I just love it. Although the tourists seem to enjoy the half way Woodland Wanderer, for me that misses the contrast that the railway has between the wooded section up to Tan-y-bwlch and the more open rugged moorland above, then contrasting the harbour with the slate monolithic waste tips and brutal human impact on a landscape at Blaenau Ffestiniog itself. Not only the contrast, but the wonderful landscape and how it varies with the time of year and the weather, the quality of light, even in the mizzle in in spring can still provide wonderful vista with layers off grey receding into the mountains yet providing another contrast if you manage a trip in the summer with a rare blue sky in Blaenau! 

David Lloyd George at Porthmadog

I had a trip behind David Lloyd George on Saturday, and Merddin Emerys on Monday. These powerful elegant machines epitimise both the Victorian engineering and the tourist potential of the line - so characteristic of the railway, unique examples in their size and proportions. 

David Lloyd George at Blaenau Ffestiniog

Strangely though my heart still belongs to Linda, the Hunslet that pulled the train on my very first visit in the mid 1980s, and for whom I hope to own as a model in one form or another one day. She is the only 009 Ffestiniog locomotive I think I'd just buy, without an actual reason for needing her - time will tell if my dream can become a reality.

Garratt heading back to Caernarfon leaving Harbour Station at Porthmadog

On Saturday we a three way meet occurred at Harbour Station as after we had returned the Woodland Wanderer pulled in from the non-platform centre road with Prince on the point, to the end of the platform before departing and a Welsh Highland service sat behind the SAR liveried Garratt, it was fun to watch them both leave before heading home, a lovely way to round off some wonderful weather.

Welsh Pony, Porthmadog

On Monday though it was Welsh Pony's turn on the Woodland Wanderer service, still looking fabulous in her dark livery, with Mr Lewin on the footplate I noticed. Later in the day another of the services was hauled by Lyd, so despite the Porthmadog to Caernarfon trains not running I still managed to see three in steam!

Merddin Emerys taking water at Blaenau Ffestiniog

The railway seemed healthier and busier than in recent times, I do hope that the recent quiet weeks are turned around at least a little following this half term. If you've never visited, what are you waiting for (especially as the Premier Inn opposite the station is practically open now), if you've not been for a while head back, and if toy visited last week, why not go again. I love it, and it would be wonderful to bump into a blog reader whilst riding the train one day. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. Hi James

    You are very lucky to be able to visit the Ffestiniog relatively easily. I have fond memories of first visiting the railway in the mid-1960’s. Having just gone and walked around Penrhyn quarries ( shut for their holidays) we had a family trip on the train to Tan-y-bwlch then the end of the line and saw both Linda and Blanche as well as Prince. A chance purchase from the bookshop at Portmadoc of the predecessor to Industrial Railway Society Handbooks and I started the journey down the rabbit hole of industrial railways. We had at least one other North wales holiday in the 1960’s and somehow I pursued my parents to ride the train again and even went to the then disused Blaenau FR station. There have been a few visits since and it still has a strong pull. I have some photos from my first trip which I will send and you can see the changes.

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the photos Alan, I’ll put them up in a later separate post so everyone can see them.

      Delete
  2. Your comment about your affection for Linda rung home. For me, it's Mountaineer. That was the locomotive that pulled the first train that I travelled on on the Ffestiniog back in the mid 1970's. I too, would buy a model of that loco without giving it a second thought. It strikes me that this is akin to one's attraction your "first doctor" in the BBC show Doctor Who.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes, perhaps indeed. To be honest, I’d also buy a Garrett at almost any price. Wonderful locomotives!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.