Paxton Road 2: The sketch (N scale part 12)…

My first N scale project broke cover on Saturday, without the hype and fanfare of a new ready to run locomotive announcement and also, without the customary sketch plan…


Well I turned the notebook drawings in to something more determined on Sunday. It is safe to say the cameo is pretty standard fodder, it is not the design that I’m using for personal growth and experimentation, it is the contents (mind the single 12v power supply is a new one, and does seem to work really neatly so I may use this again on future small layouts that I don’t envisage switching to DCC at any future time).

The composition is pure and simple a flight of fancy. Although showing tall concrete Scottish cement silos in the inspiration, I’m channelling the smaller circular form for this layout so as not to over power the scene. The sidings are ridiculously short, yes, but this is a layout to practice scenic technique. To play with ballast and track finishing, to consider detail and texture on both structures and trees, to see how weeds and grass work with flock and static fibre, the aim is to produce a scene that could pass for one larger and a space that the 12 year old inside me can get lost in with nostalgia. I have smoothed and filled the front edge of the casework, and will get some paint on the base and start with track in evenings this week. Until then, more soon…

Comments

  1. I'm excited to see this unfold. Your particular vision for this project and the story you're hoping to tease out of this form will be fascinating to follow. This is definitely one to watch.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have moments of panic, it’s an un-natural scale for me, and I’m still not confident with it. As an experiment that’s ok, but these models aren’t cheap!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.