Commission: Ruston LBU in 7/8ths…

The 'final' model in this years small batch of Ruston LB in 7/8ths is finished, and with it the closing of an enjoyable chapter of large scale builds in my workshop...


The project started with my design and assembly of my own model, which quite appropriately as they book end this run, was another LBU. These underground variants featured an exhaust conditioner with it's convoluted exhaust pipe routing under the drivers feet!


The model was finished off with a set of name plates, inspired by a Gordon Edgar photo. These appear to have been made using number plates so I did the same - scaling mine down from prototype car size and drawing up some artwork for the name plate to be produced as a water slide decal. The result can be seen in the header photo, whereas the rest of the photos here show the model before it was fitted.



The gentle subtle weathering really brings the otherwise dull and lifeless green and black 'factory' paint scheme to life. I'm always amazed at the way this happens, because time and again I end up with a model that just sings to me - so much so that it's a wrench to let them go! I really must work up the finish on my own prototype now that these commissions have flown the nest.




So what next? Well I will let that wait for it's own blog post at a later date. That said, there will be one final batch of these next year, after that I will move onto other projects, so if you'd like a unique and carom finished hand made model of these relatively modern and characterful locomotives then get in touch. I am honouring the 2022 price of £1330, a non-refundable but transferable deposit of £130 will secure your place in the batch. Until next time though, more soon...

Comments