Commission: Ruston LB ‘Cacwn’ / ‘Bumblebee’ in 7/8ths…

This years batch of Ruston LB in 7/8ths have been a great deal I’d fun and this, the final cabbed example is no different…


The yellow and black with wasp striped buffers have gained it the ‘cacwn’ nick name, crudely painted by someone with a wide thick brush. Generally well cared for but showing signs of its age and pretty much a standard 2ft gauge LB with cab, there are a few spots of rust and not much soot in the exhaust.


This 45mm gauge model uses the prototypical lot accurate axle box arrangement, with them mounted inline with the frames and the gear drive is inboard of the wheelsets. It’s all still visible from low angles but the chains are right up against the gearbox so slightly more in shadow.


This model also features a standard silenced exhaust, which exits on the top of the cab roof. The tool box along the back of the cab has been welded into place and this has caused a line of rust to develop along the cab rear, not present where the tool box is bolted in place.




The name? Cacwn is bumblebee (or wasp) in Welsh. I prefer the former, the prototype has no sting, pleasantly pottering about minding its own business. I have a few slots in a batch planned for 2023, if you’re interested the base price is held at this years, £1330. A non-refundable (but transferable) deposit of £130 is payable to  secure your model, get in touch using the contact form here on the website (left menu) or Facebook or the forums. In he meantime I’ve really enjoyed working on these and bringing them to life. There is just one more to share in the coming days, until next time though, more soon…

Comments

  1. I really like these LB's ... and I am not sure why ... I don't know much about UK prototypes althou quite a few were used to transport coal on Cape Breton Island (where I live) in the late 1800's ... (the narrow gauge Fairlies used on the Cape Breton & New Glasgow Ry being my favourite) ... I think it had much to do with the level of detail you achieve in 7/8ths scale that really does it for me ... the colours and weathering (I especially love the worn paint where hands would hold ... and I already commented on the missing bolt casting) also play a huge role ... what sets this build off is the hand-scratched name ... I recall seeing many industrial locos with hand painted names like this so it just seems so realistic to me and a very nice touch ... it just sets this build apart and makes it unique. For the next build I suggest putting a nice soft cushion on the driver's seat ... just to make it look a little more comfortable. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’ve often wondered about doing a cushion! Mind the tractor seats aren’t too bad in reality as the shape is relatively comfortable and the seat is sprung…

      Thank you for the kind words Rob. I just imagined I was painting the name on with a 1” brush, and just went for it in one take! Brave or stupid I don’t know, but it’s worked out ok!

      Delete
  2. It's been so enjoyable to follow along on this series and see how each model has developed a personality. What fascinates me so much about the combination of these prototypes in these larger scales is the way the models take on a more individualized identity that is itself realistic.

    "Realistic" in the smaller scales, like HO or even O, really describes a median point where even if we're studying a particular real life locomotive much of the finished model represents one from the fleet and the techniques are often targeted at a median point.

    In this larger scale we picture the tramway has maybe only one or two locomotives. They evolve as tools of work and their small size means they're adapted to suit the ever-changing nature of the work they do so parts are added, removed, changed, as the work evolves. So building a model like one of these Rustons isn't just about making any model but making a model of this Ruston as it exists at this stage in its life when some of the age lines appear on its brow but while its hands are still busy in the work.

    Those scratches and rust lines on the sheet metal are epic. Same for the wasp stripes on the pilot. Work like this, even just in photos, feels like work that can be felt not only seen.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.