Commission: Perhaps the last Resita-ish in 009…

I wonder if this is the last EuroNG Resita I’ll ever make? With the kit discontinued the chances are it might be - and with that in mind it was rather poignant to put the finishing touches to this particular model…


Whilst compromised from inception this caricature of a kit was always dear to my heart after the incredible experience I had at Welshpool behind one example shortly after she was returned to steam. The most incredible noise and feeling of raw power stood on the balcon of a coach against the smokebox. She wrestled and wriggled, snorted and roared along what is not, by any stretch, a flat ‘boring’ line.


In H0e of course it’s less of a compromise, but in 009 I’ve got all the Egger elements nailed. A taller cab, squat wheels and compact bonnet. Painted up and detailed with a variety of pipework, lined with a bow pen and brought to life with some weathering she feels real though, and every bit the bruiser I witnessed.


Putting this one together has also brought out a yearning for more - more European narrow gauge on my bench and more kit design. Yes you can buy wonderful ‘ready to plonk’ one piece bodies but there is something I, and I know plenty of you, find incredibly satisfying from working with seperate parts, scratch building your own final detailing. I wonder what will come next?





Model making commissions are not just a job for me - even when I do t have first hand experience of the prototype I work hard to breathe character and second hand emotion into their finish. If you’d like to work with me on your own model, perhaps a kit from the drawer, perhaps just a simple repaint, you can reach me using the contact form on the website. If that fails, as I know it does from time to time, you can email me from my a Facebook page (also linked from the Modelmaking Commissioms tab) - you do not need a Facebook account for that to work, I look forward to hearing from you. Until next time more soon…

Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.





Comments

  1. Hi James

    It is a pity the kit is not available. Those Resita locos look very Germanic and with a bit of work could pass for a Javan sugar mill loco. Your model certainly captured the flavour of the CFF units - another set of lines I never quite made it too- that I have seen in videos and books. I also enjoyed you atmospheric ride on the W&L . It reminded me again of the different approaches there can be to grade/level crossings. In the UK the train stops and is flagged cross ( priority for road traffic?) in the US the engineer blows for the crossing and keeps going albeit sometimes a bit slower ( the trains have priority) - which is best I wonder?

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, thanks for the comment. I think the Jung Dn2t might have been a better starting point (https://paxton-road.blogspot.com/2015/01/bosnian-jung-in-009-black-lined-red.html) that too has been retired though, and level crossings, I think this approach of stopping is post the accident where a car ran into a train!

      Delete
  2. I think I've finally worked out how to comment, inspiring work as usual James. In fact I still have mine unfinished in the bits box, I could never source a Minitrains chassis it was intended for so it's ended up with a bit of anglicising... I really should take advantage of this new found mojo (the spring weather is helping here in Cornwall) and do some more work on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome James, lovely to see a comment from you and good to bump into you at Warley last year. Good luck with the kit, look forward to seeing the result!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.