Time of change…

The second generation of DMU on British Rail arrived without a great deal of fuss and fanfare, and whilst the ‘built to a cost’ approach saved many services they were not universally welcomed…


40 years later and the stalwart 150 Sprinters are still serving many lines just as they did then. British designed, built and maintained these units must surely be in their Indian Summer, painted in a myriad of private liveries, I wonder if anyone will consider setting up a preservation society?

Today, 3rd generation units are beginning to settle down to service, in Wales our ‘home assembled’ CAF 197s look set to take on any service outside of the Cardiff Metro area! 

Meanwhile, my own Farish 150/1 (pictured here on Wrecsam Canolog) is up for sale. Get in touch if you’re interested, otherwise, until next time more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Oddly enough, I first rode a Class 150 in a "heritage" setting (Severn Valley Railway) some years ago. The unit in question had just gone "off lease" from London Midland and so was, effectively, out of the national network. It took part in a "Railcar" event, with everything from an original Derby Lightweight onwards amd was pretty well received. I believe its now back in the main line, but if they can do it with Pacers, why not a 150?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see one preserved, TfW I’m sure would arrange to ‘gift’ one to Llangollen - but where would it be kept and do railways have the knowledge to maintain them? They’re quite different beasts to 1st gen DMUs!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.