A mindful walk…

One foot in front of another and the mind calms. The hardest part was putting the shoes on and leavin pg the house, now I’m on the way it’s as if my troubles begin to neatly order themselves and I my head is quiet…

It is no miracle cure, those same troubles and worries haven’t disappeared. The headspace helps though, sometimes just a break from it, others a chance to let the conscious mind work things through, releasing the pressure just a touch.


Turned out nice again.

I walked down to the park on Monday to watch the last train of the day, hauled by 31271 (sounding superb in the valley) arrive into Glyndyfrdwy. The weather has been fine but the sun came out for some wonderful vista, a beautiful afternoon if you can ignore the noise of the motorbikes on the main road!

The opportunity to film and edit this together, a mindful walk to see the train is an idea I’ve had for a few months. This first attempt isn’t perfect, some of the walking sequences I think are a little too fast and perhaps nausea inducing, but the concept, of joining me on a walk to watch the train, be in and with nature, is real and seems to have legs, excuse the pun.


I’ve done mindful videos on technique, on operation, on personal reflection and now, not even talking or modelling. I wonder and worry, are these adding something, am I littering YouTube with meaningless content? I am enjoying exploring ideas though and that’s the main thing. When I started pondering the overlap between headspace and our hobby I thought it might be a book, but at the moment at least, it feels to most naturally fit as video content. For now though, relax and enjoy the sounds of the Dee Valley. Until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Wonderful film James. Lots of atmosphere. I sometimes walk down the hill to Camborne station to see the up night riviera sleeper, the last loco hauled train in the far west. Always sorts the brain out a bit. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom, that’s wonderful, I’d love to be closer to the mainline too…

      Delete
    2. Hi James. I enjoyed your walk immensely. Rolling hills, fields and trees, birdsong and a Class 31. I find I am increasingly turning to your blog and youtube channel for inspiration and for reflection. When you get time, would you consider a step by step article on how you build your cameo base boards please? Keep up the good work and take care.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Clive, I'll ponder how best to talk about the cameo baseboards.

      Delete
  2. Thank you. Nice steady camerawork.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the diesel sound. It reminds me much the sound of the Czechoslovak/Czech Class 751/752/749; most of them additionally got exhaust silencers but "grunting" sound of the remaining handful of preserved machines w/o silencers is a regular target for trainspotters from around Europe.

    Well, try this footage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao2h_KJt4e4
    to compare yourself and enjoy sound of the bank engine 749.107 pushing a passenger train with an idle electric locomotive at the head during a voltage cut-off at the Brno junction.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This does sound very British at lower speed, but there doesn’t seem to be any change as it accelerates, is opened wide at the start? What engine manufacturer is it? The Class 31 here features an English Electric power unit.

      Delete
    2. The Czech(oslovak) Class 751/752/749 mainline diesels were made 1964-71 to be the first diesels in Czechoslovakia to replace mainline steam locomotives. Originally they were labelled T 478.1 (230 pcs, since 1988 -> 751, with heating steam generators for passenger trains) and T 478.2 (82 pcs, -> 752, no train heating, for freight trains). In the years of 1992 to 96 there were installed electric heating equipment on 60 pcs 751s and 752s -> Class 749. Locomotive max. speed 100 km/h, weight in service 75 metric tons. Power transmission electric DC.

      The dieselectric locomotives T 478.1 and T 478.2 were made in ČKD Prague. Their turbocharged inline six-cylinder engines marked K 6 S 310 DR were of the ČKD origin as well: 1500 hp (= cca 1100 kW), cylinder bore 310 mm, piston stroke 360 mm, rated speed 750 rpm.

      Referring to the sound during acceleration: I am not quite sure whether I am able to properly explain it in English. Besides the diesel sound you can recognize also the sound of traction electric motors; you can hear that their sound depends on the locomotive speed. It works approximately this way: The power transmission control guards the diesel and tells it what the optimum engine speed should be according to the traction electric motors load. Thus, when the locomotive is running on the flat, it is quite simple for the control system to keep the diesel at constant optimum speed independent on the locomotive acceleration.

      BTW, the same diesel was installed into heavy switchers ČME 3 (ЧМЭ 3 in Russian) exported to the former USSR. It is reported that this was probably the largest ever series worldwide of identical diesel locomotives produced in one factory: 7459 pcs for USSR, altogether well more than 8000 pcs. Thus there were produced more than 10 000 turbocharged diesels (K 6 S 310 DR) and approx. a thousand aspirated diesels (6 S 310 DR) for smaller switchers and road switchers (Czechoslovak classes 720 and 721).

      That's about the ČKD diesels. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

      Delete
    3. Oh God, sorry for my English. I wrongly used the word "switcher" instead of the correct "shunter". Pls forgive my embarassing mistake.

      Delete
    4. Do not worry - as a British modeller fluent in North American modelling - as I'm sure many who read the blog are too, this slip is of no concern! Your english is commendable. I'm learning Welsh at the moment, and I marvel at others who have more than one language under their belt.

      Delete
  4. Hi James

    Another thoughtful video. Watching this was like being on a country walk with you and enjoying all the ambient sounds. Seeing a train at the end was a bonus. You are lucky to have that just a walk away.

    While w have the occasional steam special and some freight around the Hertford loop in addition to suburban electrics I have never been drawn to taking a walk to see them. One of my regrets however was not spending a bit more time walking along and photographing the Barrington Light Railway. It was only just over 40 minutes away but I guess I always thought it would be there. Never think that is a lesson to me!!!

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that feeling of appreciate it before it’s gone was even hammered home here when we lost the railway in bankruptcy. It is a welcome relief to see it back and in many ways, albeit scaled back, on a stronger footing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.