Friday Update: Ten Five Twenty-four...

Finally summer feels around the corner. Regular double figures, blue skies and plenty of lush greenery, a beautiful time in the valley. Grab yourself a comfortable seat and some refreshments and join me for the regular round-up of another week in the workshop...


Last weekend I cycled down to Carrog and caught this shot of the railways 3802 approaching the station from across the river. Sadly not quite as 'open' here as I thought it might be, so a bit of a fail, but it was a lovely way to spend an hour, and the river really is nearly as good as having the sea on your doorstep. What is interesting is a similar exploit on Monday produced my latest video - which has engaged viewers and blog readers with lots of comments, but the actual number of views is substantially lower than previous efforts. I will reflect on this, as I’m keen to make these more gentle videos more accessible, but I wonder if the prototype rather than modelling slant on this one has reduced its audience?


In the workshop a wide range of models - some 16mm, some etched brass (more on both below) and a prototype 009 kit edging forwards. The test print of the new Jung has arrived - and apart from needing some beefing up of the cab roof supports (yes, I snapped one - and had to repair it, you can just make this out in the photo) it fits beautifully. The etches may well be here tomorrow, as I'm expecting a parcel from Steve, I'm really excited to see this one become a reality.


The 16mm models are the Hudson GoGo tractor and some Slaters WDLR skip wagons. The GoGo is now ready for primer having had some wonderful cab photos shared by Paul Jarman at Beamish. This multi-media model is a real modern scratchbuild! A laser cut chassis, resin 3D printed side frames, nylon 3D printed roof and supports, die-cast tractor kit bash and plenty of hand cut styrene as well as a myriad of bolt and rivet heads applied to the shell it should look superb with a unifying coat of grey primer! Seen here posed with my own 7/8ths models, showing the relative size of the two scales - the G-series is the smallest of my 7/8ths diesels, the skips of a similar size to the WDLR they're supporting - and why I prefer working in the larger scale in the garden.


Rushcliffe has seen continued progress and as well as some trees taking shape (in the garden!) you'll notice the road bridge and platforms going in - mocking these up during the construction helps get the balance right as the project progresses through scenic stages - I must get a back scene sorted for this so I can begin to get a better feel for the finished scene.

Ben French photo

It is always nice to have a photo sent in from a customer. My recent commission to weather and add a crew to two Southern locomotives went to the home of the black Southern Victory I did last year. Seeing the three together was fantastic! Thanks for sending this in Ben!


The Irish adventure continues - the Studio Scale Models brake van kit arrived. This, it says in the instructions, is intended to be superglued together - I decided to solder it for longevity, as well as skills practice. It's neatly formed, although I wonder if it is old hand drawn etch artwork? It seems quite old fashioned. There are some parts missing (the vertical ribs in front of the doors have had to be made from fret) and others that are mis-drawn (the end ribs on the balcony) but I have really enjoyed the process and lets be honest, how else would I have built an Irish brake van! In parallel news, I have paid for the Bulleid opens (so they must be due imminently) and pre-ordered the new H vans from Irish Railway Models - this whole scheme is nudging closer to reality... I must do some thinking about how to make the layout a reality now, the location isn't nailed down, although I think the track plan is... and the size is also a bit 'up in the air' because I'm torn between a shelf cameo and a full blown exhibition layout... to be honest, I have space for neither!


Back on Paxton Road the 08s are multiplying. This pair have arrived to be donors for an 009 NGG16, so the bodies will be surplus. I do really like the black St Piran, of course no use to me really. The Mainline blue 09 is very bright, I don't remember the blue being quite so red, but it's well executed. I recall having the Bachmann 09006 in OO many years ago, in fact detailing and weathering the model formed my first published article in Model Rail! Something that seems a lifetime ago now...


I am having a bit of a clear out again here too:
  • Beaten Track Volume 2 - £20
  • Ffestiniog Scenes through the Sixties - £10
  • Slaters Ffestiniog 7/8ths wheels, unopened in packs - £10 per pair, £25 for all three sets
Post will be at cost, and extra.


Wrapping things up this week, the opportunity to relax with a good book in the early evening with the last of the sunshine is not one to be missed and it was Iain's 'Cameo' book that joined me this week. I love the content (if not the design) of this classic, it's one of those books on the shelf that is reached for time and again - Iain's writing is wonderful to indulge in reading, but more than that, it's a collection of ideas, of different prototypes, scales and such - it's like a magazine, but a really well choreographed one - I love it. It definitely inspired my own Compendium - as well as the first two books... talking of which, with Compendium in print efforts turn back to the third Wild Swan title - one I'm incredibly excited to share with you all very soon.

The wekeend beckons, and I am in the midst of a kitchen refresh project, so between sugar soaping cupboards, walls and ceilings I hope to get a little modelling done - the N gauge stock needs couplings - this week I made up the DG loops and magnetic droppers, these need blackening and then I can assemble another batch of finished examples to fit to the blue Peco/Coventry Rail Works hoppers and the Molasses tanks... equally, I'd like to run some trains in the garden... possibly wander down to watch the Class 47 too... hopefully a chance to relax after a busy week. Whatever your plans I hope you have a good one - until next time, more soon...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.



Comments