Commission: Hudson Hunslet in 7/8ths...

The first pair of the Hudson Hunslet 2020 batch are now complete, and after I shared a teaser photo on Friday, I thought I'd share a full set of photos covering both models...

They have been finished at the customers individual requests in the same green as my own model - one customer wanted a cab, the other didn't, this means the exhaust height is different between the models. I have also added some damage to the cab, scrapes and rust marks as well as the same level of dirt and oil build up on both models. 

After the basic finish (green and detail painted parts engine etc etc) is thoroughly dry the weathering starts with a dirty wash, panel by panel, all over, wiped off in vertical strokes leaving a build up in the corners and around rivet heads, as well as a very subtle streaking and colour tonal variation all over the model. The same wash is applied to the engine and radiator. Once this is dry, a greyer mix is mixed and used to represent oil staining around the engine on the foot plate. 

This is allowed to dry for a day or so before I use a Humbrol 'oil' wash, which is a gloss clear brown colour, to add some 'wet' look to the parts closest to the engine and drive. I use gun-metal to dry brush the edges of the model, and the axle boxes, couplers etc. The same paint is quite heavily stippled in the cab floor to look like worn metal, which has the effect of blending the washes in this area. Once dry, I use the airbrush to blend the finish together.

Where rust streaks are shown, these are hand painted in a hand mixed enamel, usually black, brown and orange. I let this almost dry before using a wide flat brush, moistened and wiped off with thinners, to drag it down the bodyside. This can be overdone, so take it gently and proceed slowly.

I've got one final pair of this model to complete before I can call the Hudson Hunslet model quits. I'd be happy to build a one off in future for any further commissions, but I shall not be building another batch of them. However, there are other 'batch' models in 7/8ths in the pipeline, if people are interested in the specifics please get in touch and I'll share the information and specification. In the meantime, I hope you've enjoyed these pictures, if I can help bring your own dream to a reality, get in touch for a personal proposal, and scale, any prototype - until then, more soon...

Comments