Is sound realistic?

To be honest, I've did have a DCC sound set many years ago, a Bachmann Dynamis and Class 37 and it was fun, but it wasn't very accessible and the controller was hard to use...

I'm a dyed in the wool DC sort of man really - and often see these features as toy like and un-neccessary to modelling, they don't necessarily add anything. However, as we'll be marketing a sound model in the Planet Industrials Victory I felt I needed to get re-aquainted with more modern sound and get to know my way around a DCC controller. Reading about, doing research, it appeared to me that the NCE Power-cab seemed to offer everything I wanted, and the ease of expansion at a later date with a relatively easy to use handset. First impressions now it's here, are yes, it's well made, sits in the hand, and is fairly intuitive to use - but you definitely have to take your eyes off the models to use it - which is still a bug bear of mine - not something I need to do with my simple Gaugemaster W and Model D, which make the operation of Pont-y-dulais much more immersive without gadgetry.

What about the sound? Well the Athearn GP40-2 I picked up recently had a Tsunami (original version) installed and the sounds aren't bad, but as previously, out of the box they sound too tinny and loud. I also found the momentum of the model didn't match the sound, or the feel the sound created, so my senses found it jarring... as a newbie I didn't want to play with it all too much, but adjusted the momentum settings and volume quite easily using the Power-cab - which have improved the start up, and driving performance, but I still don't like how the model just stops, whilst the sound carries on - and I'm a little reticent of dialing in more braking momentum incase I operate at a higher speed, obviously then it would lead to crashes! Anyhow, it's been a fun little diversion, and one I will explore again (I have a Rapido RSC-14 pre-ordered with sound). I wonder if these older more 'characterful' engine notes will be more pleasing. For now though, I remain to be convinced and still find DC control a more immersive experience. Probably at odds with many out there, if I were to add sound I think I'd go for more a 'sound-scape' of the area, with distant industry, light road noise, birds and animal noises, far off conversation that sort of thing, to bring a scene to life - the sort of thing you get if you watch 'The Day Stan Left'...

Anyhow, in the meantime, I hope this has proven to be thought provoking. I'm back on weathering today, honestly, until next time more soon...

Comments

  1. Hi James, I think that like a lot of things in model railroading, sound gives back what you put in. You could argue that a highly detailed model isn't realy worth it as most of the time you look at it from 3 feet away. Setting up and learning both the DCC system and the decoder will make things like not having to look down, setting volumes and momentum/sound syncing a lot easier. New decoders like the Tsunami 2 make easier with things like Dynamic Digital Exhaust. As someone who is getting into HO US switching style of layout (although I live in the UK) being able to use the correct horn signals and learn how to drive the loco with momentum etc is, I find, rewarding. However, as always with any hobby but especially with model railroads, it's all down to indvidualy choice. Lee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.