Plastic kit therapy...

I've always found the act of making things to be particularly mindful, and throughout my adult life they have helped at time of mental hardship, be that depression, anxiety, stress...
We've had a tough few weeks up here in North Wales again, bad weather for a few weeks gets you down when you can't get out for a walk (its amazing what blue sky can do for the soul, especially when combined with the luscious green of our valley), and then other things beyond the modelling workbench and external factors (Covid) all contributing to a depressed mood and a waning modelling mojo. Enough, I decided, was enough at the weekend and reached for the kit pile...
I always have a stash of plastic kits - although more complicated etched metal kits sit in the pile, and I've always got kits I'm designing at various stages of development, the simple act of working with plastic gives quick progress and in the case of Parkside kits, my preferred tonic, a degree of accuracy and pleasure in their assembly.
This pair of hoppers will be great for Pont-y-dulais, I've decided to tackle these pair first - and in the past few hours have managed to get the first one together. This, as usual, was well designed and crisply moulded although was more complicated than previous Parkside kits I've assembled - I will build the second before painting... I'm planning a rusty finish using some of the techniques I used on the Canadian H0 scale box car recently undertaken. 

It's dry today, and although not sunny I'm going to get out for a walk, before turning back to Hudson Hunslet weathering to finish off the second of this year's batch. If it helps to share your own experiences with mental health and modelling then please do comment here. I do feel so lucky to have such a wonderful hobby and job entwined, and sharing it with you all is as much part of it as doing it these days! More soon...

Comments

  1. Hi James, I occasionally suffer with anxiety and depression mainly due to experiences during my time in the army. I also find building kits therapeutic, the assembly, painting and weathering of Parkside and Cambrian kits give me a focus and give my mind a bit of relief from the constant negativity that seems to have become "the norm" just lately. I don't have a layout yet, but I'm looking at building a small one in my 7 x 5 shed. It will have an industrial-ish theme so I'm sure to be adding some of your products to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ged thank you for sharing your experience, and I'm pleased to hear that you find the process as rewarding and calming as I do - good luck with your layout. I'm sure you will, but do share on RMWeb or similar, I'll happily contribute thoughts and encouragement.

      Delete
  2. Couldn't agree more.
    I grew up making anything that moved, planes, boats, trains.
    Keil Kraft, Triang, Airfix, loved it.
    Now that I'm a lot older, I'm doing it again, plus I can use years of experience in design and production to do it properly and with the right tools etc.
    I feel a house move coming on with a very large workshop and room for a decent layout, probably either LBSCR or suburban London with East coast connections.
    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy it, certainly nothing wrong with working from kits, I enjoy the mix of ready made models, kits and scratch building in all aspects of the hobby.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.