Friday Update: Twenty Eleven Twenty...

A week of more Hudson Hunslets, my own projects and some new chassis arriving as well as some custom and commission 3D design...

The chassis that changed my life was the Minitrains Krauss - I remember the excitement with Tim when we had them running on Grindley Brook Wharf, how smooth and quiet they were - the potential of that chassis turned into my first kit, the O&K 40hp 0-4-0wt and was followed by the Bagnall 0-4-0st, both very popular models even today in the Narrow Planet range. Well the Krauss chassis has become even more expensive, and harder to source so I'm always keeping an eye out for a new option, and along comes Bachmann's N gauge Percy. The Tomix N gauge Percy was also a good runner, but the orientation of the motor meant there wasn't much that would work on it - and I was concerned the Bachmann model would be the same...

However I was pleasantly surprised. Unlike the Bachmann 009 Rusty, this model is a slow and steady performer, even with the body removed, and most excitedly the chassis can be stripped right down to basically just the chassis and motor plus a small circuit board. This is going to be a great option for a few prototypes I have in mind including early England's, the Spooner Kathleen and the larger Bagnall's at Cliffe Hill - although given time I'm sure I'll find more... I've drawn up the chassis in Sketchup and have some concepts already mapped out. More on that another time...

The third Hudson Hunslet is now painted, and my customer has gone for the look of the one preserved and plighted at Blaenau Ffestiniog, without the lining. This is actually quite attractive and once it's hardened over the weekend I can begin weathering next week. Once complete work will start on the fourth, and final of this years batch - this one will be finished as a preserved example currently being restored at Bala, more on that probably next month now.
The second new model to arrive was one for my own collection although it has already spawned some 3D CAD design. It is an Bachmann GE 70t... as the S4 I used under the S13 kit, this cheap and cheerful model runs so smoothly once you disconnect the Bachmann de-coder. I've just disconnected the motor wires from the motor terminals and connected them straight to the pick up terminals - this means I still have the benefit of the lighting, but a much smoother drive. The chassis has been re-engineered from the original Spectrum model of my youth which had two motors driving each bogie independently IIRC., but the ageing body will need some detailing. My chosen prototype, the Canadian National examples have different side frames - probably the biggest visual difference to the model and one I can't live with (there are plenty of others, some easy, some difficult to rectify). The truck side frames just pop off, so replacements have been drawn up along with more representative pilots, headlights and number boards. These all need refining a little, but it's promising and nice to be working on models for myself, with no intention of building these for customers!

Finally this week, the Ruston on the blog yesterday has been primed and painted has started - she's going to be a dark green, with subtle lining on the bonnet, wasp striped buffer beams and red rods (possibly wheels too, if it doesn't look too garish. The green is drying, but by the end of the weekend the buffer beams should be yellow ready for masking to do the wasp stripes. 
The kit will also include some etched Ruston works plates, and I need to fit overlays to the balance weights - but it's got a lovely chunky feel on the small wheels, which seems to capture the prototype really nicely. A final adjustment to the model before release will see a representation of the cab interior included as a 3D part - release expected, as I said yesterday in 2021 now.

I'm off to see my Mum this weekend, as her support bubble - it's been some time since she had visitors so it will be nice to see her, we're lucky to be able to do things like this in Wales as our firebreak lifted as England's started. Stay safe everyone - and if you've any projects you'd like me to consider for you, as ever do get in touch for a personal proposal. Life can be short, and sometimes a dream model is the catalyst you need to make a start on your plans in whatever gauge scale or prototype. More soon...


Comments