5 minute makeover: On rollers…

The thing about N is that it is very small. Crisp detail can in some ways trump accurate detail. I own three of the these Farish 20t brake vans and it isn’t until now I’ve pondered how easy it might be to correct the axle boxes on the later examples...


The ‘CAR’ air braked version of the model (brown with yellow strips, Railfreight and engineers liveries) should have roller bearings rather than grease boxes. When this latest van arrived I noticed the foot boards were only push fitted into place. I thought I’d investigate if axlebox replacement was possible?

  • Using a blade I took off the moulded face of the axle box to leave a smooth flat. Be careful not to go to deep as you’ll uncover the hole for the pin point axle (guess how I found out!). 
  • Slice a piece of 1mm diameter styrene, thin and straight.
  • Place a drop of superglue on the axle box and place the styrene disc in place.
  • Reassemble foot board and paint.


My own example will also be fitted with DG couplings, hence why I’ve removed the Farish ‘Rapido’ ones and I’m pondering if it’s worth adding the airbrake pipework on the body side. This van is destined for a new train I’m assembling, more on that another time.



I am enjoying working in N immensely, the challenge and improvements in your own modelling that result from shrinking the scale could be a steep learning curve, but for me the results are worth it. Until next time more soon… 


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments