A winters day (part 2)…

Yesterday I described how a second Mosslanda single line branch terminus project was born in short order in recent weeks. I see these projects as practice, a practice of art, of curating a scene driven by the feelings of a memory, or a day dream, inspired by a photo and underlined by personal connection…


That cold sting of the wind. Scarf and hat fail to protect the delicate flesh. Cheeks burning. A dull dead light, the lifeless, leafless trees provide scant break from the damp air turning crisp first snow to slush and thoughts to home. Is it time?

This layout isn’t a personal story. It’s a blend of memories and second hand emotions, of physical feelings and a lifetime love of model railways. That passage above is how I feel about the scene created. I wanted the story to be evident to those who viewed the final piece. How successful I’ll leave to you to decide.

 

Looking now at these photos, the first thing I notice is that colour temperature is so difficult to photograph and a few of these appear more yellow then they do in reality! The closest are the first and last.

So, back to the model. Last time the basic scene was together and the natural elements had all been placed but one, perhaps the key element, was missing. The platform. This is a key part of that story, I want the observer to imagine waiting for a train alongside the river in cold winter. It was my friend James who observed that placing the platform at the front of the scene, between the viewer and the track helps us imagine standing, waiting for the train to arrive. 

A word on construction for those interested - 40thou styrene for the deck, scribed lightly to suggest planking. Support legs from 1.5mm square, railings from 1mm square, drilled for 0.35mm brass rod with a top from 0.75 x 1.25mm. Primed then painted in Humbrol 98.


I was keen for the winter feeling to go beyond the bare trees, brown tinged grass and cool light temperature. How to suggest just the lightest of snow on the platform? A dusting of white primer I thought… which certainly added a nice tint to the trees and just a hint on grass. Foot prints would suggest that driver, guard and a solitary passenger have already moved about on this cold morning - added using Humbrol 31 and 98, stippled on with a ‘shoe’ made from styrene rod.


Whilst the result wasn’t bad, it didn’t feel like snow. Too ‘matt’, too dead perhaps? I masked the track and grass and lightly sprayed on some gloss lacquer. Result, just a gentle sheen, it suddenly felt like I was looking at, feeling like making footsteps through light snow, turning to slush, trying not to slip on the wooden surface…


A project like this started as a chance to practice skill and try out new ideas. Adding the story however has created a much more rewarding experience. Our hobby has the potential to transport not only us but those that share our hobby. Friends, family, strangers… in my home my partner has commented on the success of this little scene and imagining waiting for a train on that cold wintry day, engaging with my love of trains beyond my own experience, but through a personal connection herself.


So where does this leave Traeth Hafren? Traditionally complete for sure, and yes, finished too… emotionally I am done. It has been a short but rewarding journey. I love model railways.

Until next time, more soon…

Comments

  1. Brilliant, love the hint of people. That last photo feels chilly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That sounds like I’ve been at least partially successful!

      Delete
  2. Hi James

    Yes you have really captured the windswept seaside location or even the moors or the fens. For me, as you might guess, a model industrial railway setting would have been my aim, in standard or narrow gauge. Your model certainly has the feel to me of the marshes along the Thames Estuary at any time but high summer

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, thank you for the comment, and the email. I think you’re right about the feel, certainly the colour matches your photo of the trip to Bowaters!

      Delete
  3. Hi James

    As I said your evocation of a windswept waterside branch has been really good and made me think of my visits to rail systems along the Thames estuary. One, which to me looking back, has the same spirit was Bowater's narrow gauge in north Kent. I made a visit in early April 1968 and it did not feel very spring-like, having that atmosphere in your model. You seem to agree. It was also one of the few visits I went on with my father who usually had no interest in these things- added poignancy now. If you want I can look out my notes and some other photos

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.