Friday Update: Nine Two Twenty-four…

Good morning and welcome to another Friday Update, here in Wales on the dawn of another school holiday with half term about to drop I’ve been working through a wide variety of smaller scale commissions…


OO and 009 in the main, more on both later but you’ll spot a small green locomotive above, my own Fourdees ‘Windle’ is finally in the paint shop. This model is destined for a ‘one day’ joint project with friend and business partner, Steve, based upon a reimagined set of narrow gauge lines across the High Weald. More on that another time and hopefully we’ll see further progress on the kit in the coming week.

 

I’ve also been experimenting with some Humbrol acrylics. I’m interested in how these behave when mixed and when thinned, as longer term I may begin to struggle to source some of my preferred colours as Humbrol seem to try and reduce their enamel range. Early experiments are not as promising as I hoped, but not a total write off. I’ve also restarted my morning walks, recognising this time of year can be difficult to get going, especially on dark over cast mornings. I have chosen to walk to the station this year, and find that the draw of the railway is enough to get me moving, even in drizzle! The chance to get the body moving is welcome, but slightly more surprisingly but replenishing are the sights and noises I’ve often overlooked. Listening to bird song or the river, letting the gentle drone of the main road fade and focusing in on the call of a chorus of birds is another example of a mindful practice - echoed in my own work.


The two industrial OO tanks pictured above have progressed well this week and are almost complete ready for light weathering. The larger, a Hornby B2 that has been converted to be similar to the locomotive in the photo by removing the cylinders and outside motion and adding front front footsteps and a repaint. On the right is a cut down Peckett using the Planet Industrials kit, both good fun projects as a counter to the larger layout build that has otherwise taken priory of late…


…Leatown. Yes 1.2m long and looking enticing here with partially complete structures mocked up with the back scene and ballasting in place. There is a big job I keep putting off but must crack on today, building up the platform surface! This is a large structure and one that once complete I can move forwards and quickly through the scenic dressing of the project - I’m excited to see the model grow from my sketches and it’s going to be wonderful to work through. This is a project I’ve worked on with my customer from design to realisation. If you’d like me to work with you in the same manner then do get in touch for a personal proposal.


The other painting job this week has been these Westcliff 009 models based on Talyllyn examples. They have been cleaned up, primed and then the red sprayed and left to fully cure before hand painting the brown framing. This is a labour of love but put on BBC sounds and listen to ‘In our Time’ or perhaps ‘John Ronson’ or ‘Newscast’ and I can loose myself in the repetitive nature of the task. Next up is black, and then some decals early next week. If you’ve some kits in the drawer you’d like me to breathe life into then get in touch. Whilst the cost is higher, the overall cost is lower per item if you can get me to work on a rake of stock in one go, as can be seen here.


Personal modelling this week has slowed a little, but Severn Beach is 90% complete now. Casework and fiddlestick need finishing yet the scene itself is pretty much done. A few experiments proven here and a photo backdrop for a few models I’m sure - I’ll write the whole thing up as things come to a conclusion.


I have been encouraged to return to the Sweep as well. Not my favourite job, but a rewarding one - bending and soldering up the handrails for the model to first fix is complete. I’ve got to finish the mounting if these off and some further handrails to add, along with the etched parts - and a decision on whether to fit ditch lights. I’m however keen to push this through to the paint shop as quickly as I can because I know once it’s primed I’ll be renewed in my determination to see it on the layout!


I’ll end with the latest diversion (but not rabbit hole). The European HO scale shelf broke cover this week and has since been wired up and the lighting fitted. Mindful operation returns. I think the composition is quite fixed in my mind so the next step is probably to paint the track and start ballasting - but balance that against all the other personal projects I have at present and I have a whole range of things I can consider working on this weekend (and perhaps during half term). If you’ve read this far then you deserve congratulations, thank you for your continued support and interest. I would probably write this even if no one read it, but it’s is warmly appreciated that so many of you do - thank you, whether you are new or have been reading for years, thank you. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hmmm, 'umbrol acrylics. Not the best in my experience as far as airbrushing goes. Vallejo is worth experimenting with but isn't particularly hard wearing.
    Have you listened to Iggy Confidential on 6music? Iggy Pop curates a very eclectic show and is always worth a listen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t tend to use the radio to listen to music, but perhaps I should get back into that as well.

      Delete
  2. I would certainly give Vallejo a go, I did and haven't looked back, very little smell and so easy to clean the airbrush. They can be a bit more easily damaged so a varnish is a must. If you are really concerned you could use an enamel varnish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not planning to switch to acrylics, I don’t believe from my experience they’ll allow me to modulate and work my weathering in the way that works for me. I’m happy to try them for scenic work, but I don’t like the way they work as a film, the way enamels work is very natural, you paint them on and they don’t pool or require a second brush over to adhere. It’s interesting, I’ve seen others work and it’s of their hand, but I like my little palette, my mixing of base shades, creating my own washes. Each to their own I guess, and I appreciate the recommendation.

      Delete
  3. Looking at the micro layouts in particular, what do you do about the control of the frog polarity? I think I saw on a previous layout that you used Frog Juicers from Gaugemaster but these are only suitable for DCC, I think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, on DCC I use a Frogjuicer. On my new H0 cameo I don't switch frog polarity, relying on blade contact - I've never got on with SPDT switches for turnout control, they certainly don't work on cameo baseboards. On Gerald Road I experimented with the Cobalt SS system, which fitted in the depth of baseboard but was expensive - but lovely and delicate with the turnouts.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.