Emotion, memory and toy trains…

Emotion and memory are curious bed fellows, but before we reflect on the connections this image evoked I should just mention, this is N gauge…


A re-worked and repainted Farish model posed on the almost complete Pont Dulas, the lack of road signs feeling curiously more obvious than when I composed the scene.

But of emotions… I have recently recalled the childhood story of seeing a pair of 37s rumble over the bridge on Parkgate Road on the Mickle Trafford to Deeside branch, just once in the 8 or 9 years of driving under it two to three (maybe more) times a week. Despite that hit rate that experience was implanted in my mind, the shape of the distinctive tumble home and nose from below, the presence of the machines outlined against the sky…

This humble N gauge model reminds me of that experience. Only in the loosest of descriptions - but it’s the artistic connection - the road under the railway, the shape of the locomotive - that are important elements in my story. I am forever fascinated in the way I find threads and ribbons through these toy trains, with myself, my life, with friends and the overlaps in experience. Perhaps this image reminds you of your own encounter, I’d love to hear the story. For now though, until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    This is just as evocative as your windswept coastal scene and like that difficult to imagine it is N-scale

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wonderful scene you have created there James. You made me think, as your blog posts so often do. Being brought up on the on Southern Region, Central Division ( ex LBSCR) west coast line (coastway west as the marketing people renamed it in more recent times) it is level crossings that dominate my memories. The line was , and still is, festooned with them. They were all gated when I was little, some still hand operated by crossing keepers. Through the 70s and 80s they were converted to automatic half or full barriers. Whatever they were, crossing them on foot or by car was always exciting. Would they close before us, would I glimpse a train today? Although my railway modelling these days doesn't reflect that period of my life as I concentrate on rural standard and narrow gauge light railways, I think that interface between road and railway has influenced me and it's no coincidence thay both of my 009 layouts feature level crossings, two of them on Ryedown Lane in fact. The next layout, a standard gauge light railway, will also include a crossing. Clearly those childhood experiences have stayed with me.

      Delete
    2. Pat, that’s is a wonderful comment and what a reflection. Yes to see our childhood memories evoked through modelling, the scenes we recreate tell a story for us, but evoke memories for others too when presented in a way that helps the viewer place themselves in the scene… great stuff! The light railway project sounds great, where can I read more?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.