Friday Update: Twenty-three Two Twenty-four…

It’s been a slow week here, I’ve suffered with long Covid symptoms for years now but every now and again I become physically and mentally burnt out, plodding on but inefficient and ineffective. This week has been about accepting that, focusing on what can be done, giving myself permission to rest and reflecting on the successes of the last week…


My work and my hobby are a fantastic muse. This latest layout commission has been the perfect project this week. I began on Monday with some incomplete structures on a ballasted layout and end with basic foundational scenery over much of its surface. Structures were painted and weathered using more of an artistic method, spotting on colours and mixing them on the fly. The road bridge girders worked especially well, further detail painting brought the brick and platform to life with methods all discussed in the past. A foundation of Woodland Scenics fine cinders were applied to the rest of the ‘grey’ space once these structures had been stuck down to act as a basis for further work.

 

Static grass - the wonder product, but one that requires patience and practice. The secret I’ve found over many years is to not rely on a massive hopper decanting gallons of fibre over your layout, rather a precision applicator applying small amounts in deliberate locations, layering and building up a variety of colours and lengths. 2mm with a touch of 4mm to start, 4 with a touch of 6 to start to add depth, more to do with more precise applications as the picture begins to form. It’s a tactile and gentle process that supports a mindful approach, certainly one that has helped me this week. As I stand back and observe the layout coming to life it’s incredibly satisfying.


Between commissions I’m ticking off jobs on this ‘Windle’ from Fourdees. It’s a lovely little locomotive in 009, very neatly proportioned and eminently believable and I have plans to grow the rolling stock through a series of scratchbuilds to counter the ‘paint and plonk’ 3D printed body. HW is the High Weald, and a place marker for an ambitious joint project for the future with Steve.


In the workshop, with the two recent N scale diversions complete work can refocus on Kohlenbachbruke. Whilst I enjoy structure modelling I know if I don’t get them done first the project will falter so with that in the forefront I have started the first conversion from card to styrene. The ‘warehouse’ has been made in clear acrylic to allow a large expanse of glazing. This has the window frames drawn on with a Posca pen and then plastic sheet and section added. An experiment that shown here hasn’t quite worked is the ‘haze’ you get on industrial glazing. A matt lacquer has dulled things down but is too consistent, I’ll tinker with this further. I love the way the pipe bridge casts shadow down the front of the structure though. The ground in this area needs building up with card to tail height, as I’ve done on Beaverbrook, before too much longer and thought given to how to ‘bury’ the foundation of the structure to avoid any unsightly gap so close to the baseboard edge - I’ve some ideas in hand.


There are just two days to vote in the British Railway Modelling awards 2023. I was humbled to be nominated in the ‘Modeller of the year’ category this year and would be grateful for your vote (it’s the last page of the form). Voting closes on Sunday.

This weekend will hopefully see a gentle blend of rest, friends and railways large and small. Wherever you are and whatever you’re up to I hope you can enjoy the hobby. As you ride your own waves of live, crests and troughs, remember you’re not alone. Take care and until next time, more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.


Comments

  1. Hi James
    Sorry the long Covid is still hanging around ( my son still suffers as well ) however in spite of you seem to have made some real progress. The Leatown cameo ( it is always Lea Bridge Road to me) reminds me of my commuting into Liverpool Street in the mid 1970’s – very evocative of the time and place
    The 009 loco is also good . It looks so much like a loco on a South African or Caribbean sugar tramway ( could also be something off the Chattenden and Upnor military railway). Look forward to seeing more in future
    Hope you have a relaxing weekend and feel better soon
    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan, I’m taking one day at a time… I’m glad that my writing continuous to give you enjoyment too and sparks memories and your own stories in its modelling.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.