Commission: Mountaineer in 009...

Not for the first time, a Ffestiniog 'Mountaineer' in 009 graces the bench. Whilst on the last occasion we were describing the newer prototype, based upon an older white metal kit, this time things have flipped - we're talking the older prototype based upon a newer 3D print...


This kit from Mountaineer Models is designed to use the Bachmann Percy N gauge chassis - one of today's miniature marvels and a chassis I highly recommend. In fact one used under three of my own kits, reasonably priced, smooth and slow running. The kit itself is sourced via Shapeways - in these days of UK / EU relations this is not quite as cost effective as it once way, and the latest updates to the marketplace have made shipping even more prohibitive - still, if you want one, you know where to find it.

The print arrived via my customer in tan plastic, and needed the usual white spirit bath to dissolve the rest of the support wax. It's more brittle than the grey they were using initially, and responds well to gentle smoothing as did the old clear material. Generally a very neat design by Max, I did struggle a little with the tender coupling which in the new material arrives welded solid in one piece, I replaced this with a clip made from scrap etch. Handrails are 0.35mm brass rod, the 3D printed knobs are very fragile though so be careful.

Although not strictly required I chose to remove the circuit board on the chassis and hardwire the motor to the pickups. There isn't a great deal of space inside the model and I wanted to be able to fit some lead inside the tanks to aid adhesion.

Selecting what colour to paint the model was interesting - obviously no colour photo of the prototype exists and current thinking suggests a lined green locomotive with black tender - of course, this I'm sure will be disproven in future as technology and historic research improves, but it provided a guide for the model. 


The model has been finished with some custom parts - the decals are some I designed and had made specifically for the model. The etched plates are specials from Custom Nameplate Studios. The crew are Modelu, sourced directly by my customer and painted in this instance by Dan Evason (although usually I would offer this service myself). Since these photos were taken I have added a small coal load (disguising some lead weight) in the tender.


This model, a handmade replica, needs to feel comfortable rubbing shoulders with Barwell and Beer's finest - with their sublime finishing. I hope that this model comes close to their finesse, and brings enjoyment to my customer on his Boston Lodge layout. Ben is exhibiting his layout in June at the Shrewsbury Model Railway exhibition if you'd like to go and see the models first hand. I am hoping to get along to visit.

If you have a kit you'd like me to finish for you I can provide a complete commission service - sourcing the kit (if required), parts, designing finishing elements and details (I can offer custom decals, custom etching etc) to produce a unique and high quality product with real character. Get in touch for your own dream model, but for now until next time more soon...




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments