Friday Update: Sixteen Two Twenty-four…

This week feels like it has evaporated (well actually more like dissolved with the weather). How is it Friday again! Half term, bad weather, kids off and 5 consecutive layout design commissions mean there isn’t quite as much progress to share as I’d like, but let’s kick things off…


Let’s kick things off with a hint at another distraction, sorry layout! With the ‘winter’ micro finished thoughts turned to the larger layout it was designed to be a test bed for and with that the first test structure has been put together. This boat yard workshop will sit towards the rear of a more typical LACK shelf scene and the balance of texture with the embossed styrene roof and printed paper walls is one I’ve previously honed on Paxton Road. I’m not quite at the stage to share more on this and with layout design commissions bursting the iPad at the seams, inclination to draw my own ideas is somewhat lacking - but the concept is basically very similar just larger and with more to look at! It will also be a joint project. Watch this space…


In the workshop it has been mostly about layout design and, as seen here, layout building. Leatown now has a basic composition finished. The back-scene has some photos added from Silvertown and the London dock lands. The styrene structures are all complete, it’s ready for some painting and then once I’ve secured them in place, moving forwards with scenic work towards the front of the layout. When choosing images for a back-scene it is useful to have examples taken from distance, this isn’t always possible, but helps massively with two key elements that are important for some semblance of realism. First, the horizontals are horizontal and the verticals vertical - there is less parallax. Second, they’re in a softer focus and less sharp. I usually desaturate them slightly when printing out and in this case went through lots of different prints at varying sizes, less a realistic position and more artistic composition. 


Two examples from the box of 009 Talyllyn commissions I’m working through at present, these Westcliff kits are almost complete apart from transfers and finishing. The Peco couplings match the height gauge but their tails curiously sit just below the rail level, mind they can’t be mounted any higher because the NEM socket has been cut and modified to sit behind and up against the bottom edge of the buffer beam. These look lovely and when treated with a satin lacquer will easily match the look of a high quality ready to run equivalent. In the background I’ve been sourcing more parts and kits for customers for 009 commissions, if you’ve got a model you’d like me to breathe life into do get in touch!


The walk to the station has become something of a daily routine and a lovely way to start the day in whatever the weather. Even just standing looking at a sleeping railway is strangely calming for me, I feel the heart rate reduce, any stress or anxiety evaporate, my mind quieten. The effect of being at a station, I’d never really appreciated I had this on the doorstep in the same way as being at Chester or Crewe. Mind, the walk down is equally mindful, listening to birdsong and the river, observing the first signs of spring with the snow drops in flower and the daffodils poking through. Signs of rebirth and the year to come.


This week HMLX 1220 and 5606 have arrived at Beaverbrook having come off lease on what was known as ‘the Shove’. My own GE that I posted to Chris last year has returned with his own shortline power, a budget Bachmann GP7 with Soundtraxx decoder. It feels so exciting to see this here, alongside my own models - the connection we have as friends is strong but through these models the railroads we discuss and create independently feel real and connected. The problems with the blue GP chassis seem less than terminal, the quality of these drives seems at odds with their convincing but fairly bland detailing. No decision has been made on their future, we shall see where HMLX sends them next!


We’ll wrap things up here with a new (to me) rabbit hole as I dig about in Ireland for inspiration. I’ve found it by the bucket load out west in the late 1970s early 1980s but what this interest generates in terms of modelling as an artistic response remains to be seen. For now, as always, I’m enjoying learning, absorbing, distilling the character and beginning to imbue a scheme with my usual traits. Oh, and another book is on the way! As the weekend approaches I look forward to more sofa time in this way, but I’m keen to progress one of my layout builds - we shall see which grabs my attention first! I hope you have a relaxing one planned, and thanks again for stopping by, engaging with my work and as always I really appreciate it. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    In spite of half term in your part of the world you seem to have had a productive week - it is half term next week in Hertfordshire - split half terms always used to drive the events staff mad when I worked for the Transport Museum.

    I was interested in the "boat house" as you term it. Not sure how big it is but it looks like a modern industrial loco shed to me- one in a steel works or maybe a narrow gauge at a military base. Any more information on size and construction

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. Details as requested 45mm fall in the centre, 30mm deep, 82mm wide. It’s not quite done yet but it’s notning complicated. Just a styrene core with paper overlays.

      Delete
  2. Hi James, always and continually loving your content and inspiration (though your note on being your own modeller has been duly absorbed for its innate truth!). Loving your open mindedness as a modeller. The recent posts on euro layouts and hints at an irish excursion are exciting to me! Look forward to seeing more. :) Enjoy your half term, as will I as an educator. May.....just may (might mean beans on toast for a month) be getting my main actor this pay day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I’m glad you enjoy the content, and can identify with the messages. Enjoy your own half term next week!

      Delete
    2. Hi James

      Thanks for the info on the Boat house. Wondered what size the doors were and what scale it is in. Looks very realistic

      Alan

      Delete
  3. Interesting comments about your walk past the station and the emotions it raises. I don't think I realised at the time quite how much I enjoyed walking past the station where we used to live on the way to town, and to what degree it 'topped me up' to be able to nip down to the platform or even just peek over the wall to see if anything was arriving or leaving. Nine times out of ten some anonymous modern EMU, but even so, always a little exciting to see something, anything. The new house is wonderful and so much better in every way, save lack of proximity to a railway.

    That boatyard shed looks great, and the Irish adventure is intriguing and inspires contemplation of my own personal rabbit hole. Exciting times ahead with so many the layouts ideas coming to fruition in the near and almost-near future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James, great to hear from you. Sounds like your old walk to town had an equally important role in topping up the train energy, I’m sure the chance will come again to find something within striking distance. You’re right about new adventures, some more to share soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.