Weekender: Trains little and large…

This weekend has been a well deserved opportunity to catch up with a good friend and just indulge in trains little and large…


Whilst no cure to the longer term fatigue I’m facing it was a welcome break and the 6 hour round trip was worth the physical cost for the mental recharge it offered. I took a few layouts with me to see James, Traeth Hafren and Pont Dulas in N, and Kohlenbachbrucke in H0. I enjoyed the chance to spend longer talking about subjects like art in model railways, distilling the minimum level of operation required to build a mindful layout and getting lost in Irish broad gauge - a topic to discuss here another time!

James has bought the same Farish 101 as me, so one of us is going to need to face a renumbering! Seen here posed on Traeth Hafren.

James also has the same Farish trainset, but he intends to use it as the focus for a larger more beginner style layout to pass on to a deserving individual in the future, a great idea and his plans sound well founded. Here the GWR green pops on Pont Dulas.

During the evening we set up Kohlenbachbrucke in the lounge on the coffee table, Irish trains on YouTube on the TV and a chance to play trains and enjoy a beer. It cemented the absolutely solid decision I made to build this layout. Limited in scope it is a joy to operate, to share and talking it through with James I’m much clearer on scenic plans for the right hand side and back scene. 

We also managed a trip out to Oakham to watch trains (and enjoy a coffee and brunch). Passenger services are in the hands of Cross Country 3 car 170s which sound a lot like my TfW 158s! We would appreciate the extra car on our services in Wales I’m sure! Freight even on a Saturday meant that in the hour we were out we saw a GBRf empty stone and a DBC container working.

 
 

With fatigue and a busy family life it’s sometimes difficult for me to justify taking time out. Even this small break has been beneficial and I do feel more recharged. It has stoked my creative fire and rejuvenated me (if also tiring me out a touch!). Good friends we can share the hobby with are so important. I am grateful to a few in particular who know who they are, but in general, even sharing my world with all of you, my blog readers, has a positive benefit for me - thank you for your virtual friendship and you are always welcome to engage, leave comments and take a step from silent reader to blog regular! Until next time though, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Irish broad gauge! My own niche is Northern Ireland Railways from the 70s. Thinking of dealing with the gauge issue by trying it in 2mm but not sure I am up to scratch building everything - 70 Class railcar, DH shunter, spoil wagons, ex-MED luggage van, ex-NCC cut down opens - it's a big ask!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean - I had considered working in 1:160 and drawing up everything in CAD and using American mechanisms to produce a few of the key items of stock - or even perhaps butchering the bogies off a pair of Rapido BoCos to do an A and a C. However, a IRM A class is on the way, purely for 'evaluation' purposes you understand - although if I do dabble I'm not sure I'll tackle the gauge issue...

      Delete
  2. It was an absolute pleasure to have you visit. Thanks for bringing the layouts and beers etc, and making the 6+ hour round trip! You'll be welcome back anytime, of course

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi James

    Looks as if you and James had a good and relaxing weekend. Sort of your own railway exhibition without the crowds and probably better food and beer. Always nice to see some freight on the railway especially at a weekend.
    Oakham is getting closer to my part of the world and maybe of interest the Airfix kit of Oakham signal box was probably the first kit I made up. I think at some time it morphed into OKEHAM on the freelance china clay line I built back in the late 1960's

    Hope the break has refreshed you as well
    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan! Yes James mentioned the level crossing box was the basis of the old kit, I wasn’t familiar with it as it wasn’t GWR!

      Delete
  4. How interesting! I am an Irish 5’3 modeller in 7mm scale building cameo layouts. Will love to see what you end up doing. Totally get the recharge thing too! Hope the energy recovers after the travel etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great, would love to see photos of those! I did almost consider working in a hybrid scale (1/180) to use N gauge track and mechanisms but for now will stick with scheming for a heavily disguised OO picture with strictly controlled viewing angles to hide the gauge! All good fun! Sketchbook filling up with the North Kerry although it was Loughrea that initially sucker punched me…

      Delete
    2. No problem James - layout thread here: https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/15161-enniskillen/
      And Loughrea is delightful!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.