Commission: The Freightstation…

On occasion I get some wonderfully left field commissions. I of course enjoy working with the usual, the familiar, but I also enjoy voyages into the unknown, in this case European standard gauge…


In this instance a previous customer got in touch with quite a specific request, he already knew his prototype and had a sketched a few ideas on the track plan. He wanted help to check it would work, counter some of his thinking and for me to then visualise the results.


Taking his initial plan (sketched top left above) we worked through iterations and I made some suggestions. However, this process cemented both his and my resolve that the initial plan wasn’t far wrong. Revisiting it to include some flourishes such as the kick back stabling siding which adds visual interest and somewhere to display a model, as well as checking arrangements and alignment, selecting a network of Peco turnouts that would give the flowing feel my customer wanted in the throat.

The setting was never up for debate, the Ĺ˝iĹľkov Freight Station in Prague, whilst we can only give an impression in the space available it has a brutalist utilitarian design that whilst is of a prototype could be ‘anywhere’ on the border between East and West. A great canvas for the modeller without a firm definite prototype in mind. If you’d like help working on a layout design, I’m happy to offer my design service which starts from £175. We work together to understand your requirements and shape memories, prototype inspiration and your constraints to create a buildable project you can visualise and feel your hand in the design. Until next time, more soon…



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments