Commission: Silex No.2 a less common Peckett…

Fresh of work bench from the tail end of last week this modified Peckett B2 is a slightly more unusual conversion - not a perfect representation but with the character of the inside cylinder’d prototype…


Removing the cylinders and adding a front step to the frame provide the biggest visual transformation (although smaller wheels from the W4 would certainly aid the appearance). Note also the squared off Smokebox front plate, shorter number and long dumb buffers. Between them these 5 alterations create the distinctive outline of the prototype.



Painted in a deep bronze green the lining has been simplified to just the lower cab panels, rather than full Peckett works lining. The cab beading and handrails picked out in black, Custom Nameplate Studio plates from Light Railway Stores complete the look. Some light weathering and real coal add a touch of realism to the model and bring it to life, despite the only black and white source material I feel we’ve added a similar depth to the finish.


I’ve enjoyed this commission, I have a life long love of industrials but haven’t worked on my own models for some time. This is a great part of my job, but also why I keep American H0 and British N for my own modelling these days. Burnout through commission work can subtlety change my relationship with a prototype, as did the Planet Industrials ‘Victory’ project. Re-discovering the subject, and enjoyment in this instance has been a wonderful tonic. If you have a project you’d like to work on with me, letting us breathe life into a locomotive or stock you’ve always wanted, then get in touch for a personal fixed price proposal. I can work with modified ready to run, through kit builds to custom scratchbuilds in all scales and gauges. Until next time though, more soon… 



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments