Canadian National SW1200RS weathered...

I've worked over the Rapido SW1200RS I picked up a few weeks ago, another suitable model for the Halifax and South Western project, spurred on by some photos I've seen of the type at Lakeside Industrial park...

Before I started on the weathering I added the radiator winterisation hatches, and re-attached the horn. I based my weathering on various photos of the real 1359, attempting to copy the stains and scratches off the prototype. I started with using a dark grey, like with the GP15, as a panel line wash on the black bonnet. I then painted the chassis with a dark brown/black mixed from Humbrol 33/98.
Next the exhaust stacks were removed and the mould lines filed and sanded smooth, before being repainted in gunmetal (53). Once dry I used a mix of 33/98, copying photos, to tone these down before re-fitting them. I began to use the same mix to micro paint the sills and around the doors, being careful to copy the pattern of marks and loctations, this micro approach was also applied to the truck side frames. I added a little more of the wash carefully around the cab and bonnet grill.
Using gunmetal (53) again, I dry brushed the foot step edges, handrail edges and some of the chassis detail. This not only simulates wear, but also shows up edges, lifting the finish and adding contrast.
The final step is then to airbrush some road dirt, to soften the edges of the previous approaches and tie the finish together. I'm reasonably happy with it for now, although I may re-visit it again in the future. I need to see it in action on a layout with stock to check it fits in really... and although I'm planning on making steps on that over Christmas it will be some time before it can stretch its legs. In the meantime, it was nice to work on my own model, alongside the myriad of commissions and Planet Industrials work at the moment. I hope you enjoyed reading about the transformation - and perhaps it's given you the nudge to work on your own model. More soon...



Comments

  1. Looks well used, but not neglected or on its last leg... Nice weathering job James, exactly what I've come to expect from your modeling!
    Very unique looking locomotive, with all it's add-ons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff, it's good to hear from you. I hope you're well.

      Delete
    2. The family and I are doing just fine. I hope the same is true of you and yours...
      Happy Holidays to you and your family James!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.