Kinross in H0...

On the Prince Edward Island Railway’s Murray Harbour subdivision (what us Brits would call a branch line) business was seriously in decline by the 1970s, but buoyed by the annual potato harvest. This rural back water of the mighty Canadian National with its light track and diminutive GE 70t is the subject of this seasons layout project...

In a previous blog post I’ve shared the early work on planning as well as the stock, but now the holidays have started wood has been cut and the basic box has been constructed. Due to lock down this has been cobbled together from what was in the cupboard, so we’ve a 9mm MDF base, 6mm ends and 3mm hardboard for the front wings and backscene. The lid was to be hardboard too, but I mis-measured so it will have to wait until non-essential shops are open again.

The track bed will be cut and glued from 6mm MDF, I’ve also dug out and found the LED lighting, and tested this by using the lid of Pont-y-Dulais, proving the concept. I may use a strip of aluminium angle along the front of the lid to stop it sagging and add a heat sink for the LEDs. That’s all for now, I might try and get some paint on the GE70t next, more soon...

Comments

  1. Looking good James... The 70 tonner is progressing nicely!

    Thanks for presenting us with another year of your blog and wonderful modeling.

    Merry Christmas and hope for a better year for 2021!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff, that’s very kind, I am pleased so many enjoy it, it really makes it worthwhile, mind I’d do it even without an audience as I enjoy documenting and sort of filing my work and modelling.

      Delete
  2. By the 1970’s there’s a palpable sense of tension as each party is trying to move forward but it’s like a bindfolded three-legged race. CN has moved on; however the crews of CN’s Island Division remain proud, loyal, and independent of the big railway’s attitude; and the farmers just need someone who gets what they’re trying to achieve. It’s a rich and passionate story and completely intoxicating.

    Watching this come to life on your layout is a real opportunity and so very exciting. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, wonderfully evocative description - I will try and imbue that ‘tension’ into the cameo, it is, as you say, intoxicating. I wish I had space to model more...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.