Creech Bottom Mine 1949...

“It was a perfect summer’s morning, just enough of a breeze to cause a faint rustling in the pines. The deep blue sea sparkled and shimmered in the distance whilst inland the heath stretched away for mile after mile until it gradually faded in the haze of the heat of the day…
Suddenly, my attention was caught by a thin plume of steam rising from the valley not a mile away. Hurriedly I focused my binoculars on it, the steam was coming from a small locomotive which even as I studied it began to move and was soon lost to sight behind some trees. I pulled out the map and had a look, there sure enough was a ‘tramway’, and showed the road I was on crossed the line near Creech Bottom so without any more thought I set off. To attempt to drive with any haste would have been dangerous for the road was narrow and twisty and descended very steeply down the thickly wooded hillside. Just as well I proceeded cautiously as rounding a bend I came face to face with a set of peacocks, presumably out for their morning constitutional from Creech Grange. Half a mile further on the road skirted an oak wood but according to the map the railway ran right through it, a rough track led off the road and as I approached the turn, slowing to a walking pace emerged the green tank engine I had first seen from the hill top, wheezing past with a short rake of loaded ramshackle clay wagons…”

Creech Bottom was my first 009 layout and was scrapped a few years ago. Russell was built from a Robex models 3D printed body, Roco H0e chassis and various plastic and metal section, weathered to match photos of the WHLR veteran in use in Purbeck, prototypically missing the front pony truck. It was a lovely little layout, and I do miss it. Replaced with East Works, soon also to be retired. More soon...

Comments

  1. You whisked me away from dull Suffolk to summer days a long time past, when the world was a bit saner and not so complicated. Sounds like time for a rebuild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you; the intro to an article I wrote for NG&IRM a few years ago, based on a passage by Ivo Peters IIRC.

      I’ve got the photos and memories.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful story to the shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I try to put one of these up every now and again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.