What I mean by micro painting...

Often, when I'm writing up a weathering finish I describe the steps quite generally, and assume everyone knows what I mean...

In the case of washes, dry brushing and airbrushing I think that is probably the case, but I sometimes I describe a 'micro painting' stage. What do I mean? I thought I'd illustrate if I can...
In my experience weathering is an art form, and every artist has their own techniques and approaches. Mine is not better or worse than anyone elses but I'll share it as I learnt it from military modelling websites and have adapted it for my own uses - I'm sure you can do the same.
Weathering for me, starts with the prototype. Find a good selection of views of the condition you're trying to achieve... best in colour, although black and white can be useful for staining and details... the work begins with a wash, usually hand mixed, applied to the horizontal flat surfaces of the model, eg tank tops, footboards, top of the dome etc... Once dry, the next two steps are interchangeable in order... drybrushing of gun-metal on edges to suggest worn metal... and micro painting...
This is basically art! I use the same colours as the wash, I usually mix from Humbrol enamels 33 and 98, but a little thicker than a wash. I use fine brushes and begin to add in detail like streaks or rust patches working from the photographs EXACTLY. These are then dragged vertically, depending on the size of the model either with a sponge or brush, before repeating to pick out the streak or spot. The result is soft edges to these marks. In the examples here you can see streaks along the tank sides of the Hunslet, rust patches along the base of the tank, dribbles down the dome and a rusty patch where the plate used to be attached. On the SW1200RS you can see mucky streaks along the footboards, but also some rust patches on the cab side as well as some variation in the chassis colouring. These are all quite subtle, and it's the subtleness you're aiming for... if you look back at earlier models you'll find streaks down from handrail joints, rivet heads, exhaust stacks - as well as rust patches and detail painting of the under frame.
Once thoroughly dry these are blended further by airbrushed road dirt and exhaust staining, however they bring a finish to life in a way that the other techniques do not. They are precise and deliberate marks. Washes can bring out shadow and highlight panel edges or show staining. Drybrushing can highlight edges. The airbrush can soften the effect. However, the micro painting is the real winner... I offer it in my 'deluxe' weathering service. If you'd like a personal proposal for a project get in touch. More soon...

Comments