Commission: WDLR Hunslet in 0-14...

I've shared this model in previous updates, and although it's not quite finished (glazing and a little more gunge on the chassis) it's earned itself it's own blog post...

This model, as I've said before, was started by my customer 10 years ago and then languished in a drawer. Well he asked me to breathe new life into it, and finish it off so I spent several weeks trying to improve the chassis he'd assembled and get it running before building the valve gear. The bodywork had already been started, and was well put together, but lacked the details, so working over this from photos in WDLR Album I managed to cobble together the cab interior and tank top pipe runs and levers as well as adding missing details such as the tank top grab irons.
My customer wanted it to represent a post-war locomotive, being used in South Africa and send me a photo to work from for weathering. I chose to maintain a lot of the gloss black finish of the bodywork but toned this down with a wash of Humbrol 33/98 on the flat surfaces, and underside of the boiler, before micro-painting some streaks and rust spots. I added the brass details and gave these a wash to tone them down too, otherwise they looked to bling.
The number plates were used as a 'stamp' to add a dirty rusty patch where the plates used to be, as requested, and I used a dry brushed gun metal to bring out some of the edges - and neat gunmetal on the cab handrails (which need straightening once the glazing is fitted and the roof secured in place.
The final stage, as usual, was to tie the finishes together with a dusting from the airbrush. This has the effect of softening the wash and micro painting, as well as allowing a sooty build up around the chimney and on the roof. This, I maintain, would not be possible with other methods. Once the glazing is fitted this model should be on it's way back home in time for Christmas.

If you've got a model you'd like me to put together, or a part build construction where you've stalled, then get in touch and I can give you a personal proposal for getting it together and completed to your requirements, use the forum messengers, Facebook or the form on my website. Until next time, more soon...


Comments