Kinross: track laying...

I picked up the Peco Code 83 track a few weeks ago in advance of this project, as well as a Xuron track cutter as I’ve previously only ever used a cutting disc...
This tool is one I should have bought years ago, clean and crisp cuts with absolute ease, a real pleasure to use... anyhow, I’d given the layout a coat of dark grey paint to give a sealing first coat to the MDF, track laying took all of an hour, mostly spent tweaking the alignment to get a nice flowing curve, not that many will ever notice as it’s only when you peer through the end hole that you can appreciate it.
The turnout will need slivers of styrene adding to stop the gaps in the rails to the frog closing up and I need to add some wiring next. The turnout will be manually operated, I don’t think I’ll bother with using the frog wiring, relying on the blades for contact, but will bury the wire in the scenery should this prove to be a shortcut too far! The sidings will be isolated with toggle switches, I think, to allow two locos to be on the layout should ever a moment arise. A train has run though! I connected up crocodile clips to the right hand end and the GE70t made a test run to the turnout and back. Once these wiring additions are added tomorrow I will then be able to start on the level crossing and ground work. It’s a shame there isn’t enough wood here for the lid, as it would be nice to wire up and test the lighting before too long as well. Ho hum, blooming C-19 lockdown here in North Wales means that will have to wait until mid to end of January at the earliest. 
Until next time,  more soon...

Comments

  1. I love my track cutter. So quick and easy to use. The initial price put me off the first time, but I've replaced it once since then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the price put me off for years but I saw some of their jewellery ones cheap, bought one for cutting handrails etc, and was so impressed I bought the track cutter too!

      Delete
  2. Those Xuron cutters are wonderful. Like good scissors my pair rest in a protected space so they don’t get used in harsh work that might damage them.

    Kinross is really coming along. I see there’s one boxcar left on the train. Hay loading at Pisquid or maybe to the feed mill at Vernon? It’s such a fascinating railroad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to picture that scene Chris, I can’t wait until things are progressed for that to feel even more of a reality...

      Delete
  3. Wow! Some quick progression there James!

    There's something enticing about being able to use off the shelf products like you can with HO scale. I'm currently exploring HO std gauge modeling with my oldest son, who belongs to a semi-local MR club. Just purchased a "mint" but non-running brass GE 44 tonner off ebay and hope to get it running to use on a waterfront industrial module that my son and I are looking to build. Slow going so far, but the process is fun.

    Looking forward to watching your progress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jeff, it’s amazing how quick a small layout moves forwards with only an hour or so of work. Today I’ve worried it up, well as much as I could before running out of materials, and added some filler to blend the edge of the roadbed in to the base of the layout with a slight gentle slope. Hopefully I can get some east colours on this tomorrow and make a start on the road crossing.

      I’ve just bought the Bachmann 44t for another project, it’s a great little runner for the price, and the DCC seems to be much better than that used in the 70t. I’m toying with either a Claremont and Concord or Thurso and Nation Valley scene... good luck with the project, my relationship with my Dad blossomed through our shared love of model railways.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.