Kisten Torfwerk summer 1962...

'A business trip to West Germany in 1962 meant my uncle was able to fit in a little narrow gauge tourism. As well as visiting the well known 'branchline' narrow gauge systems of the Deutsche Bundesbahn he also wandered a little off the beaten track and stumbled upon the small peat works of Kisten Torfwerk...




The line was very basic with a small works building containing the peat mill, and a yard and small shed. On the day he visited a veteran O&K steam engine was in use on a rake of the newer steel bodied wagons, although original wooden bodied examples were apparently strewn around the works. 

Beyond the works the line was largely laid on the ground, ballasted poorly with sand, and then spurs off to the various peat extraction sites as required'.
Of course, Kirsten Torfwerk is actually my 009 micro layout, an era and location agnostic backdrop to run small 009 narrow gauge models. Originally built a few years ago it's actually had more exhibition appearances than any of my other layouts as it managed to squeeze in next to Tim's 'Grindley Brook' as well alongside my own 'Creech Bottom' at a few shows. I dug it out today as the weather has closed in and it's a nice tonic to watch a train run around - it's also given me a chance to try and run in the Bachmann Rusty I have under the C50, as well as the new Percy. I hope you've had a good weekend. More soon...

Comments