Commission: Barclay chassis in P4…

This chassis is like a work of art in it’s raw metal and now it’s complete I’m enjoying its finish both figuratively and literally… 
I chose not to model in P4 myself, I appreciate the fidelity but I don’t find the balance of effort fits well with my approach and passions to model making. When it’s a customer model, it’s a chance to dust off the skills and practice some new found ones… this High Level chassis is for their Barclay side tank and I’ve built it as a fully compensated example with a centre pivot on the front axle and a pair of beams for the rear. This gives a wonderful fluidity to the finished chassis, but requires patience and more play in the rods than you expect. In fact, if I was starting again, I’d probably suggest to my customer we build it semi rigid… however, it’s been an experience, and the result is generally very pleasing.
It uses Gibson wheels of the correct spoke pattern that gives the right character, but I really dislike working with them, no matter how delicate and patient I am they never ever go on or stay straight as they’re adjusted, removed and repositioned in the setup and construction process. These have ended up mercilessly close to true, but Romfords, despite their shortcomings, are definitely my preference.

Underneath you can see the brake rigging with pickups disguised in and amongst this to wipe on the back of the wheel tyres. They also work well to keep the wheels centred on the axle, without providing too much resistance. I find these easy to set up and adjust, I’d recommend them to anyone building a chassis. I use a 0.4mm phosphor bronze wire, which has a good spring to it, minimising drag.

The design of the High Level kit chassis is superb, and I’d recommend them to anyone, instructions in particular are well illustrated and written. If you’ve got a kit, flat in the box and would like me to build the chassis to get you started, or the whole kit, then get in touch for a personal proposal. In the meantime more soon…

Comments