Commission: Lyd2 in 009 (again)…

I love the Lyd2 - for as long as I've been modelling in 009 I've wanted one, and a few years ago I was lucky enough that a modelling friend built me a custom chassis and my own model then stretched it's legs on Bron Hebog, my dreams had come true...
Last year I worked on a custom chassis design of my own, using a Graham Farish 08 shunter. I designed a replacement block so that the motor, gears, axles and wheels all transplanted into a new mechanism with the correct axle spacing... I added a jack shaft, flycrank extensions and custom etched rods and false outside frames to complete the transformation...
Following that model I was asked to build another and it's finally complete - subtle variations as specified by my customer, this model has a wider white stripe as the prototype wears today and is not weathered beyond the exhaust on the roof... the body is the Worsley Works etch fitted with my own design 3D headlights, vents etc. Windscreen wipers this time are from KV Models in the US.
As I was modelling how she is today I kept her clean - but the attention to detail my customer requested meant matching the slightly off angle and sizes of the buffer beam wasp striping... also noteworthy is the strange extra filter over the vent on the side of the hood - this wasn't modelled on either my own or the previous model I completed.
The chassis is held in place by magnets, allowing the customer to add more weight - which always improves running of the Graham Farish chassis. One thing I think really lifts the model is the etched works plates on the front battery boxes, these are from Custom Nameplate Studio and are a perfect finishing touch.


If you've got a dream model you'd like me to recreate, matching the prototype as closely as practical in your chosen scale or gauge, then get in touch to discuss your project and a no obligation personal proposal. Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. Love it James... Every iteration of the Lyd2 you do just gets better and better! Glad the custom chassis using Grafar 08 parts worked out. It makes a huge difference to the finished loco to have the correct wheelbase and jack shaft coupling rods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff, you know I’ll always be wonderfully grateful for the kindness you showed by building me the chassis for my own model all those years ago…

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.