Commission: Logging caboose in G-scale...

I love my job, I go from precision chassis building in P4 to creating caricatures in G scale. This 'logging caboose' (which seems to grand a title) is a scratch aid kit from Ozark miniatures that I've recently completed for a customer in the US...


The parts are all provided but some adjustment and cutting is required. Neat touches are the posable door and the sprung axleboxes. The chassis was put together quickly, using carpenters glue. The body needed a little more work as the laser cut sides need cleaning up and the corners chamfered to 45degrees to get a neat join, which results in a pleasing finish.


The roof is a laser cut ply which provides interior planking detail, covered with embossed styrene sheet. I have cut the edges of this to feel like its separately applied pieces whilst allowing the model to use a single piece, I figured a more robust solution in this large scale. The details are white metal, the chassis corner plates are formed from white metal castings that you drill through to insert white metal bolt castings!


My customer wanted a worn and characterful finish - I used enamel washed to build up the colours, the frame is 'unpainted' wood - the body is Humbrol 70 washed over with Humbrol 133, giving a richer brown whilst still allowing the wood to show through and give some relief. The problem with the ply used is of course the grain goes across the planks - so careful painting is required to disguise this - I think it's been relatively successful.

This model will remain here for a short while, whilst I finish off the logging 'water' car that is for the same customer - I will try and get some photos of the pair together in time - a shame my Dad's Bachmann Shay lives with my Mum in Pembrokeshire, as it would be lovely to pose the lot together. Anyhow, if you've got a kit that you'd like me to take a look at and breathe some life into then please get in touch. Until next time, more soon...

Comments