Wagon repairs at Pont-y-dulais…

After the colliery closed at Pont-y-dulais, the washery remained and the sidings adjacent to the A48 remained busy with incoming traffic from other collieries in the area. It wasn't uncommon to find a wagon receiving repairs at the shed on weekdays...


Despite the end of steam the shed is still busy during the day. Here we see an MDO in for attention, although it's not immediately obvious - perhaps a hot box? At this late stage the coal board hire an 08 from British Rail - this will be out on the exchange sidings the other side of the main road.

Of course, Pont-y-dulais continues to delight, I love just flicking the switch and taking it all in - it invites cameos such as this which was an accidental blend of positions after filming the weathering tutorial. It just struck me that perhaps the British Coal lorry was down with the works team to tend to the crippled wagon... I'm toying with the idea of replacing the layout with something else, but there is something about the wide open over-cast sky, dark grey mud under foot and lush greenery that keeps me coming back. We shall see... more soon...

Comments

  1. Good to see they have found an excellent window cleaner ;-)

    One problem with modeling, which often gets confused with rivet counting, is when something doesn't look quite right to someone who knows about other subjects. So, as a keen cyclist... the bike frame colour. Around this time I think it would most likely be black, green, or an orangy red. I think the latter would work well here, it would echo the brick work and the bright yellow and make it less 2d . I think a bit of the problem is it is close to the wheelbarrow, and my mind tells me subconciously that metal wheelbarrows and bikes are made out of roughly the same kind of tubing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. As a bike nerd I was shocked the other day to realise that one of my bikes now probably qualifies as historic, being an early Brompton from before they were trendy. I put it alongside my wife's modern Brompton and I don't think they have a single original part in common. I'm hoping to get another 25 years out of it.

      Delete
    2. And a further PS, it made me realise how valuable films like this are for tips on what the general environment looked like at a point in time. How people are dressed, road vehicles, how busy places are etc. Mostly filmed around common ground for myself and Phil Parker, this is just before my Father set up his model shop in Coventry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw&ab_channel=jacknthur

      Delete
    3. It’s blue for a reason… Dad’s racing bike from the late 1950s was pale blue. He painted it… it’s another of those threads, the connections through the hobby.

      Point taken on windows… they’re too clean but I like them that! Perhaps next time I can varnish them first…

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.