5 Minute Makeover: Chalk markings...

A few months ago I shared a few ideas for quick and easy additions to models that could really raise their realism in a short space of time...


Re-viving the format, today I'm sharing one that is not new to me, or probably new to you - but have you tried it yourself, I certainly hadn't! Chalked markings were common in the days of the 12t good wagon, be they destinations, weights, notes on the load or state of the vehicle. You can buy decal sheets of these, some RTR models even come with them pre-applied - however, why not apply your own? Absorb yourself in the prototype first, perhaps over a coffee, find some suitable photos... then sharpen a white pencil crayon, this isn't anything fancy, just a WHSmiths one... I then sharpened the point still further with a blade. Carefully 'chalk' in the markings, copying the style and location from photos - perhaps personalising these to suit your own prototype. No need to seal them, and their subdued nature blends in well with the overall wagon. I apply these over a wash, so the pencil has something to grab on to, rather than the RTR finish. 

Try crossing these out, or shading the pencil sideways over them to make them look rubbed out? Don't like it? Too bright? Rub it with a finger...

I hope you enjoy this simple transformation - bring your own models to life... more soon...

Comments

  1. I had not in fact heard of this idea, but I'll now be trying it out, thanks...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.