Decoder back to back...

I've been working on another Bachmann GE44t model, this time a little more 'current operation' than the Claremont and Concord example that hails from the late 70s...

This new model will be used on Beaverbrook and despite being DCC fitted was incredibly noisy from the factory - almost to the point where I worried it would never be a good runner. However, taking a punt on an ESU Lokpilot decoder I've hard wired in replacing the factory installed board and the performance is transformed.


I think it's great these models are available with DCC from the factory, however in many cases the quality of these decoders is at the bottom end of the market and it's great to see that we can realise the potential of these older models - in fact I may even replace this in time with a sound decoder, it has transformed the performance so much! Until next time, more soon...

Comments

  1. Not surprised at the difference James... As you say, the quality of factory fitted decoders (unless they are name brand, which is almost always featured in the advertising), is decidedly bottom end. I had a similar experience with a Bachmann GE 70 tonner. I replaced it with a basic Digitrax decoder (the old DZ125) and it resulted in a measurable improvement in running quality. The ESU decoders are fantastic! I'm running a few in some custom chassis' that are running with coreless motors and the running quality is pretty astounding. Unparalleled smoothness and very low noise. Definitely worth the premium you pay for them (ESU decoders).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Jeff, no me neither in terms of the performance. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the reduction in noise. In my own 70t I just moved the motor terminals to the pick up tabs on the factory board. That way I got the constant lighting, but had much better performance on Kinross, which is straight DC. What is slightly peculiar is that the Claremont and Concord model runs much better on DC than DCC! Mad! I would love to fit DCC sound to all three at some point, funds permitting, the reduction in motor and gear noise means I'm not worried about the drive train drowning out the sound decoder.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.