Commission: More wagon weathering…

It's good fun working on weathering commissions, these fit neatly around other work and give me the chance to step away from soldering irons and computer design, and enjoy the basic processes of bringing wagons to life...

As I recently shared in my video, there is no need for an airbrush when working on rolling stock, however, I do find they're a useful tool to blend finishes together. These three wagons and four containers were all given my custom wash of Matt 33 and Matt 98, wiped off vertically and left to dry - the decks of the Conflats were given a slightly darker wash to sit in the planking.
Several of the items then received some light chalk markings using a pencil crayon sharpened to point. This has proven to be quite successful, and really does lift the finish for minimal effort. 
The airbrush was used to blow over the sides and chassis, picking out around hinges in particular as well as toning down the white markings, whilst being careful not to obscure the chalk markings. In addition to my usual 'studio' shots, I had Pont-y-dulais all set up and lit, so thought I'd grab a few photos on the layout...
The two containers were weathered deliberately differently. In real life these seem to have been relatively clean in service, so the one on the right is probably a little over done, but as a contrast, works well.
The smaller containers provide a neat comparison...
...whilst the SR diagram plywood van shows the effects of a wash toned down with the airbrush and the effectiveness of these simple techniques using a limited but personal palette of colour. If you've got some items you'd like me to bring to life, get in touch for a personal proposal. In the meantime, more soon...

Comments

  1. Very nice, James.
    The weathered wagons are looking quite authentic.
    I would press the 'like it' button, but can't find it.
    Instead then: I like it.
    Cheers
    Dirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dirk, as you say, this is happily not Facebook, Instagram or forums, and so without such frivolities as like buttons. However comments are more personal, and very much welcome. I really appreciate your kind (and as usual, humorous) words.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.