Friday Update: Twelve Eleven Twenty-one…

A great week for finishing commissions off, and for making a start on some new projects, both for myself and customers so grab yourself a morning coffee and take a seat…


I’ve said it plenty of times but I do love building my own kits! This week I’ve been putting together a Hunslet Wagonmaster, a kit I designed a few years ago now. The Liliput chassis has been heavily modified, they strip down fairly easily and can be cut with a hacksaw and tidied up with files. The kit provides overlays and 3D printed details, and the work so far sees the chassis in a first coat of black and the body primed and painted yellow. This is going to be modelled on a prototype so green next, and then some custom decals to finish off…


This chassis has been assembled from a High Level kit for the Andrew Barclay. It is P4, and fully compensated, last seen without cylinders it’s now nearly finished so should see it’s own post shortly, where I’ll take the time to write a little more about the process and specific details…


I’ve also painted this Backwoods Miniatures Hudswell Clarke that a customer supplied in raw metal, here posed between the rails on Kinross before its final coat of dull-cote - which it has now received, so as with the chassis will get its own post shortly. I’ve gone with Humbrol 20, crimson with this, it’s such a lovely rich colour, used on the HICC diesel and Sentinel on the ‘Commissions’ page of the website.


I was sent a giant box of broken bits recently with a plea to see how much could be rescued and rebuilt. I spread everything out and having worked out the basic assembly of trucks I reckon I could save the caboose and one of the spine cars - so expect to see these come together in the coming weeks.


On my own projects I’ve begun to work on the handrails for the BC Rail CRS20. These are formed in 0.3mm brass rod and etched stanchions that fold up and push into holes in the frame. It sounds pretty flimsy but is surprisingly robust. It’s the same approach as the MLW S13u, and not something to rush. I take my time and spread it out over a few evenings. They’re removable for now as I want to paint it without them fitted, to allow masking of the red white and blue. I’m really looking forward to seeing this project progress, I’ve picked up a few more detail parts from the US which will help with specifics such as the later style of truck side frames from their C420. I must do a short video, because it’s distinctive CAT prime mover means it’s a very different sound to the MLW Alco 251.

I hope you have a good weekend and can find some time to work on your own projects, whatever they may be. The days may be shorter, but the evenings now provide a chance to enjoy a good book or indulge in a kit or two, make the most of them. Until next time more soon…
 

Comments